Dynamics of a Chain with Four Particles, Alternating Masses and Nearest-Neighbor Interaction
- 577 Downloads
We formulate the periodic FPU problem with four alternating masses which is the simplest nontrivial version. The analysis involves normal form calculations to second order producing integrable normal forms with three timescales. In the case of large alternating mass the system is an example of dynamics with widely separated frequencies and three timescales. The presence of approximate integrals and the stability characteristics of the periodic solutions lead to weak interaction of the modes of the system.
- 1.Bruggeman, R., Verhulst, F.: The inhomogenous Fermi-Pasta-Ulam chain, submitted (2015). arXiv:1510.00560 [math.DS]
- 6.Sanders, J.A., Verhulst, F., Murdock, J.: Averaging methods in nonlinear dynamical systems. Appl. Math. Sci. vol. 59, 2nd ed., Springer (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Verhulst, F.: Methods and Applications of Singular Perturbations. Springer, Berlin (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Verhulst, F.: A chain of FPU cells. In: Awrejcewicz, J., Kazmierczak, M., Mrozowski, J., Oleinik, P. (eds.) In: Proceedings of the 13th International Conference Dynamical Systems—Theory and Applications, vol. Control and Stability, pp. 603–612, Lodz, December 7–10 (2015). Extended version. Regular and chaotic recurrence in FPU cell-chains publ. in Appl. Math. Modelling (2016)Google Scholar
- 10.Verhulst, F.: Near-integrability and recurrence in FPU cells. Int. J. Bif. Chaos, accepted for publ. (2017)Google Scholar