Short-Term Forecasting on Technology Industry Stocks Return Indices by Swarm Intelligence and Time-Series Models
Forecasting is an important technique in many industries and business fields for reading the terrain. The category of technology industry stock, which includes 7 independent stocks, in Taiwan Stock Exchange (TWSE) is selected to be the study subject in this paper. The goal is to forecast the return index of the individual stocks base on the information observed from the trading historical da-ta of the subjects. By including the trading volume, the number of trading rec-ords, the opening price, and the closing price in the inputs to the representative models in time-series and computational intelligence: EGARCH(1,1) and the In-teractive Artificial Bee Colony (IABC), respectively, the forecasting accuracy are compared by the Mean Absolute Percentage Error (MAPE) value. The experi-mental results indicate that the IABC forecasting model with the selected input variables presents superior results than the EGARCH(1,1).
KeywordsIABC EGARCH Return index Technical industry stock
This work is funded by the Key Project of Fujian Provincial Education Bureau (JA15323).
- 1.Chen, S.-S.: Applied Time-series Econometrics for Macroeconomics and Finance. Tunghua, Taipei (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Abedinia, O., Barazandeh, E.S.: Interactive artificial bee colony based on distribution planning with renewable energy units. In: 2013 IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologies (ISGT), pp. 1–6. IEEE Press, Washington, DC (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Tsai, P.-W., Pan, J.-S., Liao, B.-Y., Chu, S.-C.: Enhanced artificial bee colony optimization. J. Innov. Comput. Inf. Control 5(12B), 5081–5092 (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Tsai, C.-F., Hsiao, C.-T., Tsai, P.-W., Chang, J.-F.: Applying interactive artificial bee colony algorithm and the time-series methods in the foreign exchange rate forecasting. Econ. Manage. 36(Z1), 147–150 (2014)Google Scholar
- 9.Tsai, P.-W., Liu, C.-H., Zhang, J., Chang, J.-F.: Structuring interactive artificial bee colony forecasting model in foreign exchange rate forecasting with consumer confidence index and conventional microeconomics factors. ICIC Expr. Lett. Part B: Appl. 7(4), 895–902 (2016)Google Scholar
- 12.Beni, G., Wang, J.: Swarm intelligence in cellular robotic systems. In: Dario, P., Sandini, G., Aebischer, P. (eds.) Robots and Biological Systems: Towards a New Bionics?, 1993. NATO ASI Series (Series F: Computer and Systems Sciences), vol. 102, pp. 703–712. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg (1993)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Karaboga, D.: An Idea Based on Honey Bee Swarm for Numerical Optimization. In: Technical Report-TR06, 2005 (2005)Google Scholar