On the Automatic Construction of Knowledge-Map from Handouts for MOOC Courses
Massive open online courses (MOOCs) offer valuable opportunities for freedom in learning; however, many learners face cognitive overload and conceptual and navigational disorientation. In this study, we used handouts to automatically build domain-specific knowledge maps for MOOCs. We considered handouts as conceptual models created by teachers, and we performed text mining to extract keywords from MOOC handouts. Each knowlege map is based on the structure of the handouts, each consisting of an outline, title, and content. The findings suggest that using handouts to build knowledge maps is feasible.
KeywordsKnowledge maps Learning styles Massive open online courses Open learning
This study is supported by the Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST) of Taiwan under grant numbers MOST-105-2511-S-007-002-MY3 and MOST-105-2634-F-007-001.
- 1.Coursera. https://zh-tw.coursera.org/
- 2.edX. https://www.edx.org/
- 3.Udacity. https://www.udacity.com/
- 4.Khan Academy. https://www.khanacademy.org/
- 5.Wang, M., Peng, J., Cheng, B., Zhou, H., Liu, J.: Knowledge visualization for self-regulated learning. Educ. Technol. Soc. 14, 28–42 (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Holley, C.D., Dansereau, D.F.: Spatial Learning Strategies: Techniques, Applications, and Related Issues. Academic Press, New York (2014)Google Scholar
- 10.Fasihuddin, H., Skinner, G., Athauda, R.: Knowledge maps in open learning environments: an evaluation from learners perspectives. J. Inf. Technol. Appl. Educ. 4, 18–29 (2015)Google Scholar
- 11.YongYue, C., HuoSong, X.: Research on the auto-construction methods of concept map. In: International Conference on Intelligent Human-Machine Systems and Cybernetics, IHMSC 2009, pp. 75–77. IEEE (2009)Google Scholar
- 16.Flood, B.J.: Historical note: the start of a stop list at Biological Abstracts. J. Assoc. Inf. Sci. Technol. 50, 1066 (1999)Google Scholar
- 18.ShareCourse. http://www.sharecourse.net
- 19.The “Investment” course on ShareCourse. http://www.sharecourse.net/sharecourse/course/view/courseInfo/987