Clinical Radiobiology and Physics
This chapter will discuss the fundamental concepts and factors important in radiation biology and physics as they apply to radiation therapy.
KeywordsRadiobiology Radiation physics DNA damage DNA repair Oxygen effect Hyperthermia Cell survival Cell cycle effects Hereditary DNA repair syndromes Relative biological effect Total body radiation Effects of radiation on the embryo/fetus DNA damage assays Clinical radiation safety Effective dose limits Photon interactions External beam techniques Brachytherapy Timeline of radiation
We thank Gautam Prasad MD, PhD, and Jean Pouliot PhD for their work on the prior edition of this chapter.
- Hall EJ, Amato JC. Radiobiology for the radiologist. 7th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2011.Google Scholar
- ICRP. Report No. 116 – Limitation of exposure to ionizing radiation; 1993.Google Scholar
- ICRP. The 2007 recommendations of the international commission on radiological protection. ICRP Publication 103. Ann. ICRP 37 (2–4); 2007.Google Scholar
- ICRP. Statement on tissue reactions; 2011.Google Scholar
- ICRU. ICRU report 50 – prescribing, recording and reporting photon beam therapy. Med Phys. 1994;21(6):833–4.Google Scholar
- ICRU. Prescribing, recording and reporting photon beam therapy (supplement to ICRU report 50), ICRU Report 62. Bethesda: ICRU; 1999a.Google Scholar
- ICRU. Prescribing, Recording and Reporting Photon Beam Therapy (Supplement to ICRU Report 50), ICRU Report 62. Bethesda: ICRU, 1999b.Google Scholar
- Kahn FM. The physics of radiation therapy. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2003.Google Scholar
- McDermott PN, Orton CG. The physics & technology of radiation therapy. Madison: Medical Physics Publishing; 2010.Google Scholar
- NCRP. Limitation of exposure to ionizing radiation, report 116; 1999.Google Scholar
- NCRP. Structural shielding design and evaluation for megavoltage X- and gamma-ray radiotherapy facilities, report 151; 2005.Google Scholar
- NIH Genetics home reference. https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov. Last accessed 9/6/16.