This chapter will discuss the epidemiology, workup, staging, treatment recommendations, key studies, and radiation treatment techniques for ovarian cancer.
KeywordsOvarian cancer Ovarian carcinoma Whole abdominal irradiation and whole abdominal radiation therapy
We thank R. Scott Bermudez MD, James Rembert MD for their work on the prior edition of this chapter.
- Bundy B, Alberts DS, et al. Phase III trial of standard-dose intravenous Cisplatin plus paclitaxel versus moderately high-dose carboplatin followed by intravenous paclitaxel and Intraperitoneal Cisplatin in Small-Volume Stage III Ovarian Carcinoma: An Intergroup Study of the Gynecologic Oncology Group, Southwestern Oncology Group, and Eastern Cooperative Group. J Clin Oncol. 2001;19:1001–7.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Edge SB, American Joint Committee on Cancer. American Cancer Society. AJCC cancer staging manual. 7th ed. New York: Springer Science+Business Media; 2010.Google Scholar
- ICON and EORTC-ACTION investigators. International collaboration on ovarian neoplasm trial 1 and adjuvant chemotherapy in ovarian neoplasm trial: two parallel randomized phase III trials of adjuvant chemotherapy in patients with early stage ovarian cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2003;95:105–12.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Katsumata N, Yasuda M, Isonishi S, et al. Long-term results of dose-dense paclitaxel and carboplatin versus conventional paclitaxel and carboplatin for treatment of advanced epithelial ovarian, fallopian tube, or primary peritoneal cancer (JGOG 3016): a randomised, controlled, open-label trial. Lancet Oncol. 2013;14(10):1020–6.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kojs Z, Glinski B, Reinfuss M, et al. Results of a randomized prospective trial comparing postoperative abdominopelvic radiotherapy with postoperative chemotherapy in early ovarian cancer. Cancer Radiother. 2001;5:5–11.Google Scholar
- Lee L, Berkowitz R, Matulonis U. Ovarian and fallopian tube cancer. In: Halperin CE, Wazer DE, Perez CA, Brady LW, editors. Principles and practice of radiation oncology. 6th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2013. p. 1446–64.Google Scholar
- National Cancer Institute Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results Program (SEER). 2016. http://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/ovary.html. Accessed 20 Aug 2016.
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network. Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology: Ovarian Cancer (Version 1.2016). 2016. Available at: https://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/ovarian.pdf. Accessed on 21 Aug 2016.
- Rochet N, Kieser M, Sterzing F, et al. Phase II study evaluating consolidation whole abdominal intensity-modulated radiotherapy (IMRT) in patients with advanced ovarian cancer stage FIGO III--the OVAR-IMRT-02 Study. BMC Cancer. 2011;11:41.Google Scholar
- Sorbe B. Consolidation treatment of advanced (FIGO stage III) ovarian carcinoma in complete surgical remission after induction chemotherapy: a randomized, controlled, clinical trial comparing whole abdominal radiotherapy, chemotherapy, and no further treatment. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2003;13(3):278–86.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Vicus D, Small W Jr, Covens A. Ovarian cancer. In: Gunderson LL, Tepper JE, editors. Clinical radiation oncology. 4th ed. Philadelphia: Churchill Livingstone; 2015. p. 1264–1283.e5.Google Scholar