By reviewing the current initiatives and developments in frequent flyer programs (FFPs), De Boer is able to distill three themes that capture the trends and innovations that are taking place. The first trend is how airline loyalty programs are improving their underlying economics. De Boer highlights the shift to value-based accrual systems, and tighter elite qualification rules as key examples. Secondly, against a backdrop of an increasingly competitive market place, FFPs are striving to ensure relevancy by providing greater context and convenience. De Boer cites the increased use of data driving better and more contextually relevant marketing offers. Lastly, De Boer identifies how FFP partnerships have evolved, and how their ongoing success has become contingent on the FFP being able to generate demonstrable value.
- Berry, J. (2014). 7 Trend-driven resolutions for loyalty marketers in 2014. Colloquy. Retrieved April 19, 2017, from https://www.colloquy.com/resources/pdf/reports/20131210-7-Trend-Driven-Resolutions-rep.pdf
- Doppelt, L., & Nadeau, M.-C. (2013, July). Making loyalty pay: Lessons from the innovators. Retrieved April 19, 2017, from https://www.mckinsey.com/~/media/mckinsey/dotcom/client_service/financial%20services/latest%20thinking/payments/mop17_making_loyalty_pay_lessons_from_the_innovators.ashx
- Emirates. (n.d.). Emirates and SPG your world rewards. Retrieved June 3, 2017, from https://www.emirates.com/english/skywards/about/partners/hotels/your-world-rewards.aspx
- Infinite Journeys. (n.d.). How the tiers are matched. Retrieved June 3, 2017, from http://infinitejourneys.com/en/
- Kinney, J. (2013, November 13). Marriott: Smart data case study. Presentation presented at FFP Conference 2013, Vancouver, BC.Google Scholar
- McKone, D. (2013, November 13). L.E.K. consulting: Eight big reasons why loyalty will transform the customer experience. Presentation presented at FFP Conference 2013, Vancouver, BC.Google Scholar
- Mullen, A. (2013, May 14). The future of marketing is (better) context. Retrieved April 21, 2017, from http://blogs.forrester.com/anthony_mullen/13-05-14-the_future_of_marketing_is_better_context
- Nakata, V. (2017, February 21). Rentalcars.com : Four disruptive ingredients – Online travel trends that will impact the way you think about loyalty. Presentation presented at Loyalty 2017, London.
- Smartphone Apps Crushing Mobile Web Time. (2016, September 20). Retrieved April 20, 2017, from https://www.emarketer.com/Article/Smartphone-Apps-Crushing-Mobile-Web-Time/1014498