Throughput Analysis of a SWIPT Enabled Two-Way Decode-and-Forward Cognitive Relay Network
Wireless energy harvesting has emerged as an efficient technique to prolong the network life time of energy constrained network. In this paper, we propose a simultaneous wireless information and power transfer (SWIPT) based decode-and-forward (DF) cognitive two-way relay network. In our proposed network the primary nodes communicate with each other via an energy constrained intermediate DF relay. The relay node first harvests the energy from the source signals and then uses this harvested power to decode-and-forward these received primary signals to their respective destinations. In addition to primary signals relay also utilizes some portion of the harvested power to transmit its own information signal to a secondary node. Our simulation result shows that the proper setting of energy harvesting and power allocation parameters can significantly improve the overall network throughput. We also show the effect of various system parameters on overall system performance.
KeywordsSimultaneous wireless information and power transfer (SWIPT) Decode-and-forward relay Cognitive relay networks Wireless energy harvesting Two-way relay network
This work was supported by the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) grant funded by the Korean government (MSIP) (2014R1A5A1011478). Prof. Min Young Chung is corresponding author.
- 2.Grover, P., Sahai, A.: Shannon meets Tesla: wireless information and power transfer. In: IEEE ISIT (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Varshney, R.: Transporting information and energy simultaneously. In: IEEE ISIT (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Shah, S.T., Choi, K.W., Munir, D., Chung, M.Y.: Information processing and wireless energy harvesting in two-way amplify-and-forward relay networks. In: 2016 IEEE 83rd Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC Spring), pp. 1–6 (2016)Google Scholar
- 7.Gurakan, B., Ozel, O., Yang, J., Ulukus, S.: Energy cooperation in energy harvesting wireless communications. In 2012 IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory Proceedings, pp. 965–969 (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Xu, J., Zhang, R.: Throughput optimal policies for energy harvesting wireless transmitters with non-ideal circuit power. IEEE J. Sel. Areas Commun. 32(2), 322–332 (2015)Google Scholar
- 12.Nasir, A.A., Zhou, X., Durrani, S., Kennedy, R.A.: Throughput and ergodic capacity of wireless energy harvesting based df relaying network. In: IEEE ICC-Selected Areas in Communications Symposium, pp. 4077–408 (2014)Google Scholar
- 15.Wang, Z., Chen, Z., Luo, L., Hu, Z., Xia, B., Liu, H.: Outage analysis of cognitive relay networks with energy harvesting and information transfer. In: IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), pp. 4348–4353 (2014)Google Scholar
- 16.Wang, Z., Chen, Z., Yao, Y., Xia, B., Liu, H.: Wireless energy harvesting and information transfer in cognitive two-way relay networks. In: IEEE Global Communications Conference, pp. 3465–3470 (2014)Google Scholar