Receiver Operating Characteristic (ROC) Packages Comparison in R
The Receiver Operating Characteristic (ROC) curve analysis and the resulting plot can be used as a tool to select optimal models of possibility and to discard those of inferior quality from the cost of context (or class distribution). Presently, this type of analysis is used in a variety of fields from the medical community, bioinformatics, military and finance. There is a variety of software packages available for ROC analysis, and this analysis will focus on those specific of R and open source. The chosen packages were: ROCR, Verification, caTools, Comp2ROC, and Epi available on CRAN, and the ROC library from Bioconductor. This work intends to make a comparative analysis of the main characteristics of these R packages.
KeywordsR ROC curves Comp2ROC ROCR pROC caTools Verification Bioconductor
This work was supported by FCT - (Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia) within the Project Scope: UID/CEC/00319/2013.
- 1.Coelho, S., Braga, A.C.: Performance evaluation of two software for analysis through ROC curves: Comp2ROC vs SPSS. In: Gervasi, O., Murgante, B., Misra, S., Gavrilova, M.L., Rocha, A.M.A.C., Torre, C., Taniar, D., Apduhan, B.O. (eds.) ICCSA 2015. LNCS, vol. 9156, pp. 144–156. Springer, Cham (2015). doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-21407-8_11 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Sing, T., Sander, O., Beerenwinkel, N., Lengauer, T.: ROCR: visualizing the performance of scoring classifiers. Version 1.0-7 (2015). https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/ROCR/index.html
- 8.Fawcett, T.: ROC graphs: notes and practical considerations for data mining researchers, pp. 1–27. In: HP Inven (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Braga, A.C., Costa, L., Oliveira, P.: ROC Curves in medical decision. In: 46th Scientific Meeting of the Italian Statistical Society (SIS), Rome, Italy, 20–22 June 2012Google Scholar
- 12.Robin, X., Turck, N., Hainard, A., Tiberti, N., Lisacek, F., Sanchez, C., Müller, M.: Package pROC: display and analyze ROC curves version. Version 1.7.2 (2015). http://web.expasy.org/pROC/files/pROC_1.7.2_R_manual.pdf
- 13.NCAR: verification: weather forecast verification utilities. Version 1.42 (2015). https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/verification/index.html
- 14.Braga, A., Carvalho, S., Santiago, A.M.: Comp2ROC: compare two ROC curves that intersect. Version 1.1.4 (2016). https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/Comp. 2ROC/Comp. 2ROC.pdf
- 15.Carey, V., Redestig, H.: Utilities for ROC, with uarray focus. Version 1.48.0 (2016). https://www.bioconductor.org/packages/release/bioc/manuals/ROC/man/ROC.pdf
- 16.Carstensen, B., Plummer, M., Laara, E., Hills, M.: Package ‘Epi’: a package for statistical analysis in epidemiology. Version 2.0 (2016). https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/Epi/index.html
- 17.Hornik, K.: R-FAQ (2016). https://CRAN.R-project.org/doc/FAQ/R-FAQ.html
- 18.Tuszynski, J.: Package ‘caTools’: tools- moving window statistics, GIF, Base64, ROC AUC, etc. Version 1.17.1 (2015). https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/caTools/index.html