Polynomials over Quaternions and Coquaternions: A Unified Approach
This paper aims to present, in a unified manner, results which are valid on both the algebras of quaternions and coquaternions and, simultaneously, call the attention to the main differences between these two algebras. The rings of one-sided polynomials over each of these algebras are studied and some important differences in what concerns the structure of the set of their zeros are remarked. Examples illustrating this different behavior of the zero-sets of quaternionic and coquaternionic polynomials are also presented.
KeywordsQuaternions Coquaternions Polynomials Zeros
Research at CMAT was financed by Portuguese Funds through FCT - Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia, within the Project UID/MAT/00013/2013. Research at NIPE was carried out within the funding with COMPETE reference number POCI-01-0145-FEDER-006683 (UID/ECO/03182/2013), with the FCT/MEC’s (Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia, I.P.) financial support through national funding and by the ERDF through the Operational Programme on “Competitiveness and Internationalization - COMPETE 2020” under the PT2020 Partnership Agreement.
- 6.Cockle, J.: On systems of algebra involving more than one imaginary; and on equations of the fifth degree. Philos. Mag. 35(3), 434–435 (1849)Google Scholar
- 11.Hamilton, W.R.: A new species of imaginaries quantities connected with a theory of quaternions. Proc. R. Ir. Acad. 2, 424–434 (1843)Google Scholar
- 19.Malonek, H.R.: Quaternions in applied sciences. A historical perspective of a mathematical concept. In: 17th International Conference on the Application of Computer Science and Mathematics on Architecture and Civil Engineering, Weimar (2003)Google Scholar
- 20.Miranda, F., Falcão, M.I.: Modified quaternion Newton methods. In: Murgante, B., Misra, S., Rocha, A.M.A.C., Torre, C., Rocha, J.G., Falcão, M.I., Taniar, D., Apduhan, B.O., Gervasi, O. (eds.) ICCSA 2014. LNCS, vol. 8579, pp. 146–161. Springer, Cham (2014). doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-09144-0_11 Google Scholar
- 23.Özdemir, M., Ergin, A.: Some geometric applications of split quaternions. In: Proceedings 16th International Conference Jangjeon Mathematical Society, vol. 16, pp. 108–115 (2005)Google Scholar