Grid Generation About High-Lift Wing Configurations
The current guidelines provided by the 3rd AIAA CFD High Lift Prediction Workshop for building unstructured meshes representing high-lift wing configurations are demonstrated and discussed. Specifically, Pointwise grid generation software is used to generate general multi-element unstructured grids about the NASA High Lift Common Research Model and the Japanese Aerospace Exploration Agency Standard Model with and without nacelles and pylons. Several modifications to the guidelines that enhance grid quality are presented. Additionally, the user-defined parameters within Pointwise that govern the mesh generation process are reviewed in detail.
The authors would like to thank the HiLiftPW3 committee for openly supplying these geometries and Carolyn Woeber of Pointwise for her advice during the initial mesh-building process.
- 1.3rd AIAA CFD High Lift Prediction Workshop. https://hiliftpw.larc.nasa.gov
- 2.ANSI, USPro: Initial Graphics Exchange Specification IGES 5.3. Technical Report Formerly ANS US PRO/IPO-100-1996, Trident Research Center, Suite 204, 5300 International Blvd, N. Charleston, SC 29418 (1996)Google Scholar
- 4.Brown, C.: STEP files versus IGES files. https://www.cadlinecommunity.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115000846485-STEP-Files-vs-IGES-Files
- 5.Chan, W.M.: Best practices on overset structured mesh generation for the high-lift crm geometry. In: 55th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, AIAA Paper 2017–0362. Grapevine, Texas (2017)Google Scholar
- 6.Dey, S., Aubry, R., Karamete, B.K., Mestreau, E.L., Dean, J.L.: Mesh generation for high-lift aircraft geometry configurations. In: 55th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, AIAA Paper 2017–0364. Grapevine, Texas (2017)Google Scholar
- 7.ISO: Industrial automation systems and integration—Product data representation and exchange—Part 242: application protocol: managed model-based 3D engineering. Technical Report No. ISO 10303-242:2014(E), ISO (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Karman, S., Wooden, P.: CFD modeling of F-35 using hybrid unstructured meshes. In: 19th AIAA Computational Fluid Dynamics, AIAA Paper 2009–3662, 22–25 June 2009. San Antonio, Texas (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Lopategui, E.: It’s time to get over IGES. http://blog.grabcad.com/blog/2014/10/14/get-over-iges/
- 10.Pointwise: Version 18.0 R1. http://www.pointwise.com
- 11.Woeber, C.D., Gantt, E.J.S., Wyman, N.J.: Mesh generation for the nasa high lift common research model (hl-crm). In: 55th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, AIAA Paper 2017–0363. Grapevine, Texas (2017)Google Scholar