Shallow Seismic Investigation of the Yangtze River Fault at Zhenjiang, Jiangsu Province, China
Debates on the Yangtze River Fault at Zhenjiang, Jiangsu Province, China have lasted for a long time. In order to clarify the stratigraphy, characteristics and activity of the fault, a large-scale shallow seismic investigation was conducted on the site. It involved 10 onsite field experiments, 5715 m long shallow seismic exploration and five geological drill holes, and consequent data processing and interpretation of the shallow seismic time profiles in combination with one geological profile and a satellite image. It was found that the loose Quaternary strata present good continuity in the area. Four pre-Cenozoic faults present in the bedrock (including the Yangtze River Fault), and two Quaternary faults cut the Quaternary sediments. Therefore, the existence of the Yangtze River Fault is verified, and its activity and characteristics are analyzed in this study.
The authors gratefully acknowledge the supports of China Geological Survey Project (1212010914005).
- Chai, Z.: Application of 2-D seismic methods in Jixi Yongfeng area [二维地震方法在鸡西永丰区的应用]. Coal Technol. 28(5), 149–150 (2009)Google Scholar
- Cifci, G., Pamukcu, O., Coruh, C., Copur, S., Sozbilir, H.: Shallow and deep structure of a supradetachment basin based on geological, conventional deep seismic reflection sections and gravity data in the buyuk menderes graben, western anatolia. Surv. Geophys. 32, 271–290 (2011). doi: 10.1007/s10712-010-9109-8 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Liu, B., Sun, Z., Zhao, C.: Shallow seismic reflection profiling with high resolution in Yanqing-huailai region [延庆怀来地区高分辨率浅地震反射剖面]. Seismolog. Geol. 21(4), 425–430 (1999)Google Scholar
- Liu, B.J., Zhao, C.B., Feng, S.Y.: Application of the three-component shallow seismic reflection method to probing buried active faults [应用三分量浅层地震反射方法探测隐伏活动断裂]. Chin. J. Geophys. 55(8), 2676–2686 (2012)Google Scholar
- Wang, C., Zhang, X., Wu, Q., Zhu, Z.: Seismic evidence of detachment in north china basin [华北盆地滑脱构造的地震学证据]. Chin. J. Geophys. 37, 613–620 (1994)Google Scholar
- Xie, Z., Zhang, G., Fu, X.: Progress of 2-D seismic exploration in onshore, Beipu region [北堡陆地二维地震进展]. Oil Gas Geol. 21(4), 324–326 (2000)Google Scholar
- Yang, X., Li, D., Zhao, C., Liu, B., Sun, Z., Zhao, J.: The movement age of hidden fault and analysis on width of its effect zone from shallow seismic sounding and drilling data. Acta Seismol. Sin. 17, 94–102 (2004)Google Scholar
- Yin, Y., Zhang, J., Chen, B.: Formation mechanism of large-scale loose sediment at the relocation sites of Wushan County on the three-gorges [三峡库区巫山移民新城址松散堆积体成因机制研究]. Chin. J. Eng. Geol. 8(3), 265–271 (2000)Google Scholar
- Yue, Y., Chai, Z.: Application of 2-D seismic method in looking for coal in Dayanzhani river area of Inner Mongolia [二维地震方法在内蒙古大雁扎尼河区找煤中的应用]. Coal Technol. 27(3), 129–130 (2008)Google Scholar
- Zhigulev, V.V., Patrikeev, V.N.: Shallow seismic refraction analysis: Application to studying the active north sakhalin fault. Russ. J. Pac. Geol. 1(1), 15–22 (2007). [Original Russian Text © V.V. Zhigulev, V.N. Patrikeev, 2007, published in Tikhookeanskaya Geologiya, 2007, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 20–28.]CrossRefGoogle Scholar