Road Performance Prediction Model for the Libyan Road Network Depending on Experts’ Knowledge and Current Road Condition Using Bayes Linear Regression
The accurate prediction of rates of road deterioration is important in Pavement Management Systems (PMS), to ensure efficient and forward looking management and for setting present and future budget requirements. Libyan roads face increasing damage from the lack of regular maintenance. This reinforces the need to develop a system to predict road deterioration in order to determine optimal pavement intervention strategies (OIS). In a PMS, pavement deterioration can be modeled deterministically or probabilistically. This paper proposes a Bayesian linear regression method to develop a performance model in the absence of historical data; instead, the model uses expert knowledge as a prior distribution. As such, Libyan Road experts who have worked for a long time with the Libyan Road and Transportation Agency have been interviewed to develop input data to feed the Bayesian Model. A posterior distribution was computed using a likelihood function depending on road condition inspections in accordance with a pre-established protocol. The results were the pavement deterioration prediction models based on expert knowledge and a few on-site inspections.
KeywordsPavement management systems Pavement performance International roughness index (IRI) Bayesian linear regression
I would like to thank the Libyan Road Agency as well as all the participating experts who have provided insight and expertise, without which this project would not have been possible.
- Amador-Jimenez, L.E., Mrawira, D.: Bayesian regression in pavement deterioration modeling: revisiting the AASHO road test rut depth model. Infraestruct. Vial 25, 28–35 (2012)Google Scholar
- Clark, M.: Bayesian Basics, a conceptual introduction with application in R and Stan. 2nd 13 Jun 2015. https://m-clark.github.io/docs/IntroBayes.html
- Davison, A.C.: Statistical Models. Cambridge University Press, New York (2008)Google Scholar
- Haas, R.: Pavement Management Guide. Transportation Association of Canada, Ottawa (1977)Google Scholar
- Haas, R.: Modern Pavement Management. Krieger Pub Co., Malabar Florida (1994)Google Scholar
- Jongsawat, N., Premchaiswadi, W.: Bayesian network inference with qualitative expert knowledge for decision support systems. pp. 3–8 (2010)Google Scholar
- Li, Z.: A Probabilistic and Adaptive Approach to Modeling Performance of Pavement Infrastructure. Faculty of the Graduate School, University of Texas at Austin. Ph.d. (2005)Google Scholar
- Mašović, S., Hajdin, R.: Modelling of bridge elements deterioration for Serbian bridge inventory. Struct. Infrastruct. Eng. 10(8), 976–987 (2013)Google Scholar
- Medical Research Council: WinBugs Installation (2016). Retrieved 30 Sept 2016, http://www.mrc-bsu.cam.ac.uk/software/bugs/
- Premkumar, L., Vavrik, W.R.: Enhancing pavement performance prediction models for the Illinois Tollway System Google Scholar
- Shahin, M.Y.: Pavement Management for Airports, Roads and Parking Lots. Springer Science, New York (2005)Google Scholar