Regulatory Regimes, Foreign Mining Investment, and Risk in the Asia-Pacific Region: Comparative Evaluation and Policy Implications
This chapter analyses the major issues associated with regulatory governance of foreign mining investment in the Asia-Pacific Region. After surveying relevant literature on regulatory regimes, the chapter draws on the seminal work of Stern and Holder to evaluate the major regulatory governance issues in China, India, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, and the Philippines. Our analyses indicate that there are six key regional challenges: regulatory overlap, regulatory capture and a lack of independence from government, a lack of impartiality in decision-making, a lack of transparency in decision-making, inadequate stakeholder engagement and access to regulators, and a lack of institutional capacity. These challenges are more pronounced in some countries than in others. Policy implications that may aide regional governments to improve governance infrastructure in their mining industries are outlined.
Asian Development Bank
Contract of Work
Corruption Perceptions Index
Environmental Impact Assessment
Foreign Direct Investment
International Finance Corporation
Papua New Guinea
- Aguilar, J. (2008). Data mining. Newsbreak, special issue, July-September.Google Scholar
- Andrews-Speed, P., Yang, M., Shen, L., Cao, S. (2003). The regulation of China’s township and village coal mines: a study of complexity. Journal of Cleaner Production, 11(2), 185-196.Google Scholar
- Australian Trade Commission. (2013). Infrastructure trade opportunities in the Asian Century. www.austrade.gov.au. Accessed 25 May 2015.
- Bailey, S. (12 May 2007). India: attractive destination for western mining Investment. Resource Investor. http://www.resourceinvestor.com/2007/05/11/india-attractive-destination-western-mining-investment. Accessed 2 February 2015
- Behre Dolbear. (2014). 2014 Ranking of countries for mining investment: where not to invest. http://www.dolbear.com/resources/. Accessed 14 November 2014.
- Bhasin, B., Venkataramany, S. (2007). Mining law and policy: replacing the ‘Contract of Work’ system in Indonesia. Paper presented at the 10th International Conference of the Society for Global Business and Economic Development (SGBED), Kyoto, Japan, 8-11 August. www.dundee.ac.uk/.../files.php?file=CEPMLPIJ-Mar08-Indonesia.pdf. Accessed 6 July 2014.
- Bloodgood, L. (2007). Competitive conditions for foreign direct investment in India. Office of Industries, U.S. International Trade Commission, Publication 3931, July. http://digitalcommons.ilr.cornell.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1394&context=key_workplace&sei-redir=1&referer=httppercent3Aper cent2Fper cent2Fscholar.google.com.auper cent2Fscholarpercent3Fqper cent3DLaurapercent2BBloodgoodper cent2BCompetitivepercent2BConditionsper cent2Bforper cent2BForeignpercent2BDirectper cent26btnGpercent3Dper cent26hlpercent3Denpercent26as_sdtper cent3D0percent252C5#search=per cent22Laurapercent20Bloodgoodpercent20Competitivepercent20Conditionspercent20Foreignpercent20Directpercent22. Accessed 8 May 2014.
- Brodjonegoro, B. (2004). The effects of decentralisation on business in Indonesia. In M. Chatib Basri, & P. van der Eng (Eds.), Business in Indonesia: new challenges, old problems (pp. 125-140). Singapore: Institute of Southeast Asian Studies.Google Scholar
- Brown, A., De Paula, E. (2002). Strengthening of the institutional and regulatory structure of the Brazilian power sector. Washington, DC: World Bank, Report on the PPIAF Project for Brazil Power Sector, Task 4.Google Scholar
- Caprioni, E. (2013). Foreign mining companies flee China. OilPrice.com. http://oilprice.com/Metals/Gold/Foreign-Mining-Companies-Flee-China.html. Accessed 10 Dec 2015.
- Chase, R., Lugue, F. (2006), October 18. The Philippines: reviving fortunes. Ambrian Economic Updater.Google Scholar
- Christian Aid. (2004). Breaking promises, making profits: mining in the Philippines. London: A Christian Aid and PIPlinks report, December. http://cpcabrisbane.org/Kasama/2004/V18n4/BreakingPromises.htm. Accessed 12 May 2015.
- Cubbin, J., Stern, J. (2004). Regulatory effectiveness: the impact of good regulatory governance on electricity industry capacity and efficiency in developing countries. London: City University, Department of Economics Discussion Paper Series 04/04. http://facultyresearch.london.edu/docs/paper57.pdf. Accessed 5 September 2014.
- Dinnen, S. (2009). Thirty years of law and order policy and practice: Trying to do 'too much, too badly, with too little? In R.J. May (Ed.), Policy making and implementation: studies from Papua New Guinea (pp. 233-260). Canberra: ANU ePress.Google Scholar
- Economy, E. (2007). The great leap backward? the costs of China’s environmental crisis. Foreign Affairs, 86(5), 38-59.Google Scholar
- Fox, J., Adhuri, D., Resosudarmo, I. (2005). Unfinished edifice or Pandora’s box? decentralisation and resource management in Indonesia. In B. Resosudarmo (Ed.), The politics and economics of Indonesia’s natural resources (pp. 92-108). Singapore: Institute of Southeast Asian Studies.Google Scholar
- Fraser Institute. (2015). Fraser Institute annual survey of mining companies. https://www.fraserinstitute.org/sites/default/files/survey-of-mining-companies-2015.pdf. Accessed 3 November 2015.
- Fraser Institute. (2012/2013). Fraser Institute annual survey of mining companies 2012/2013. http://www.fraserinstitute.org/. Accessed 3 November 2014.
- Gutiérrez, L. (2003). Regulatory governance in the Latin American telecommunications sector. Utilities Policy, 11(4), 225-240.Google Scholar
- Holden, W., Jacobson, D. (2007). Mining amid armed conflict: nonferrous metals mining in the Philippines. The Canadian Geographer, 51(4), 475-500.Google Scholar
- Imbun, B. (2006). Multinational mining and petroleum companies’ perceptions of the policy framework in Papua New Guinea. Pacific Economic Bulletin, 21(1), 225-242.Google Scholar
- Jhingran, I. (1997). National mineral policy of India: an overview. Resources Policy, 23(1-2), 91-96.Google Scholar
- Kaufmann, D., Kraay, A., Mastruzzi, M. (2004). Governance matters III: governance indicators for 1996–2002. New York: World Bank. http://siteresources.worldbank.org/INTWBIGOVANTCOR/Resources/govmatters3_wber.pdf. 6 July 2014.
- Kurtzman, J., Yago, G., Phumiwasana, T. (2004). The global costs of opacity. MIT Sloan Management Review, 46(1), 38-44.Google Scholar
- Laodengkowe, R. (2008, May 26). Extractive sector transparency initiative. The Jakarta Post.Google Scholar
- Levy, B., Spiller, P. (1994). The institutional foundations of regulatory commitment: a comparative analysis of telecommunications regulation. Journal of Law, Economics and Organisation, 10(2), 201-246.Google Scholar
- Mineral Resources Authority, Papua New Guinea. (2008). Mineral Resources Authority: corporate profile. http://www.mra.gov.pg/AboutUs.aspx. Accessed 2 February 2014.
- Ministry of Mines, Government of India. (2006). National mineral policy. http://www.mines.nic.in/writereaddata/Filelinks/46ff58f0_rep_nmp.pdf. Accessed 24 January 2015.
- Naito, K., Otto, J., Smith, D., Myoi, H. (1999). Legal aspects of exploration and mining: a comparative study of mining law in Asia. Journal of Energy and Natural Resources Law, 17(1), 1-12.Google Scholar
- Naito, K., Otto, J., Eggert, R. (1998). Mineral investment risk and opportunities in Asia. Resources Policy, 24(2), 77-78.Google Scholar
- North, D. (1990). Institutions, institutional change and economic performance. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- O’Callaghan, T. (2010). Patience is a virtue: regulation and governance in the Indonesian mining sector’, Resources Policy, 35(3), 218-225.Google Scholar
- O’Callaghan, T. (2009). Regulation and governance in the Philippines mining sector. The Asia Pacific Journal of Public Administration, 31(1), 91-114.Google Scholar
- Otto, J., Cordes, J. (2002). The regulation of mineral enterprises: a global perspective on economics, law and policy. Institute for Global Resources Policy and Management. Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation. Colorado School of Mines.Google Scholar
- Otto, J. (1992a). Criteria for assessing mineral investment conditions: mineral investment conditions in selected countries of the Asia-Pacific Region. New York: The United Nations.Google Scholar
- Otto, J. (1992b). A global survey of mineral company investment preferences: mineral investment conditions in selected countries of the Asia-Pacific Region. New York: The United Nations.Google Scholar
- Planning Commission, Government of India, . (2006). National mineral policy: report of the High Level Committee, December. http://www.planningcommission.nic.in/reports/genrep/rep_nmp.pdf. Accessed 14 February 2015.
- PwC (2012), Mining in Indonesia: investment and taxation guide. April. https://www.pwc.com/id/en/publications/assets/mininginindonesia-investmentandtaxation.pdf. Accessed 15 January 2015.
- Rabasa, A., Chalk, P. (2001). Reinventing Indonesia: the challenge of decentralisation. In A. Rabasa & P. Chalk (Eds), Indonesia's transformation and the stability of Southeast Asia (pp. 47-51). Jakarta: The Rand Corporation.Google Scholar
- Resosudarmo, B., Resosudarmo, I., Sarosa, W., Subiman, N. (2009). Socioeconomic conflicts in Indonesia’s mining industry. In R. Cronin & A. Pandya (Eds.), Exploiting natural resources: growth, instability, and conflict in the Middle East and Asia (pp. 33-46). Washington, DC: Stimson Center.Google Scholar
- Sames, C. (2006). The mineral industry of India. Minerals & Energy - Raw Materials Report, 21(3-4), 19-34.Google Scholar
- Santosa, F. (2013). New developments for the Indonesian mining industry. SSEK: Indonesian Legal Consultants. http://blog.ssek.com/index.php/2013/02/new-developments-for-the-indonesian-mining-industry/. Accessed 24 November 2014.
- Singh, K., Kalirajan, K. (2003). A decade of economic reforms in India: the mining sector. Resources Policy, 29(3-4), 139-151.Google Scholar
- Stern, J., Holder, S. (1999) Regulatory governance: criteria for assessing the performance of regulatory systems. Utilities Policy, 8(1), 33-50.Google Scholar
- Subramaniam, V., Ashwin, M. (2006, 20 November). Ministries must stop being regulators. India Together. http://indiatogether.org/reglpower-editorials. Accessed 15 March 2015.
- Suxun, Chenjunnan. (2008). Private capital: what impedes its entry into China’s minerals. Resources Policy, 33(1), 23-28.Google Scholar
- Tan, A. (1998). Preliminary assessment of Philippines’ environmental law. APCEL Report. Singapore: Asia-Pacific Centre for Environmental Law.Google Scholar
- Tahilyani, N., Tamhane, T., Tan, J. (2011). Asia’s $1 trillion infrastructure opportunity. McKinsey Quarterly, March. http://www.mckinseyquarterly.com/Asias_1_trillion_infrastructure_opportunity_2765. Accessed May 23 2015.
- Transparency International. (2014). The Corruption Perceptions Index. http://www.transparency.org/cpi2014/results. Accessed December 10 2014.
- Tse, P. (2003). The mineral industry of China. U.S. Geological Survey Minerals Yearbook.Google Scholar
- Vivoda, V. (2011). Determinants of foreign direct investment in the mining sector in Asia: a comparative analysis between China and India. Resources Policy, 36(1), 49-59.Google Scholar
- Vivoda, V. (2008). Assessment of the governance performance of the regulatory regime governing foreign mining investment in the Philippines. Minerals & Energy - Raw Materials Report, 23(3), 127-143.Google Scholar
- Ward, M., Izzard, C., Cornelius, S. (2003). Focus: mining in China. Allens Arthur Robinson, August. http://www.allens.com.au/pubs/res/fomcaug03.htm. Accessed 23 May 2015.
- Wahyuni, S. (2010, 28 October). Herry Zudianto: for the good of Yogyakarta. The Jakarta Post. http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2010/10/28/herry-zudianto-for-good-yogyakarta.html. Accessed 24 June 2015.
- Wurfel, D. (1988). Filipino politics: development and decay. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.Google Scholar
- World Resources Institute. (2005). Electricity governance toolkit: benchmarking best practices and promoting accountability in the electricity sector. Prayas-Prune: National Institute of Public Finance and Policy. http://www.wri.org/publication/electricity-governance-toolkit. Accessed 5 March 2014.