Legacy Issues and Abandoned Mines
The chapter summarises the principal problems associated with current approaches to closure planning. Then it discusses the critical relationship between effective mitigation and management of mining legacies and abandoned mines. In the third section, I review global and Australian initiatives on mining legacies. Then, drawing upon global leading practices, I develop a maturity model to guide jurisdictions as they move toward more mature management of abandoned mines. In the fifth section, I present a case study of the abandoned Mount Morgan gold mine in Queensland, Australia. Throughout the chapter, I draw attention both to the importance of fully accounting for liabilities to internalise costs, and to the benefits that can flow to industry, governments and communities when beneficial post-mining land uses are created.
Acid Mine Drainage
Abandoned Mines Working Group
Australian and New Zealand Minerals and Energy Council
Acid Rock Drainage
Artisanal and Small-scale Mining
Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy
British Columbia Crown Contaminated Sites Program
Contaminated Land Management
Department of Trade and Investment, Regional Infrastructure and Services
Environmental Impact Statement
Environmental Protection Agency
Global Reporting Initiative
International Council on Mining and Metals
International Institute for Environment and Development
World Conservation Union
Legacy Mine Unit, NT
Minerals Council of Australia
Ministerial Council on Mineral and Petroleum Resources
Mining, Minerals and Sustainable Development
National Orphan/Abandoned Mine Initiative
Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development
United Nations Environment Programme
- Alpers, C., Hunerlach, M., May, J., Hothem, R. (2005). Mercury Contamination from Historical Gold Mining in California. US Geological Survey, November 2005. http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2005/3014/. Accessed 2 April.
- ANCOLD. (2012). Guidelines on Tailings Dams – Planning, Design, Construction, Operation and Closure. http://www.ancold.org.au/?page_id=334. Accessed 5 May 2014.
- ANZECC. (2000). Australian and New Zealand guidelines for fresh and marine water quality - Volume 1. The guidelines. Australian and New Zealand Environment and Conservation Council. http://www.environment.gov.au/water/quality/publications/australian-and-new-zealand-guidelines-fresh-marine-water-quality-volume-1. Accessed 7 March 2014.
- Australian and New Zealand Environment and Conservation Council and Agriculture and Resource Management Council of Australia and New Zealand. (2000). Australian Water Quality Guidelines for Fresh and Marine Waters, National Water Quality Management Strategy. Australian and New Zealand Environment and Conservation Council, Canberra. http://erin.gov.au/water/quality/nwqms/index.html External Link. Accessed 14 April 2014.
- Audit Office of NSW. (2014). Performance Audit - Managing contaminated sites, Environment Protection Authority Department of Trade and Investment, Regional Infrastructure and Services. http://www.audit.nsw.gov.au/ArticleDocuments/336/01_Managing_Contaminated_Sites_Full_Report.pdf.aspx?Embed=Y. Accessed 14 August 2014.
- Audit Office of NSW. (2011). Financial Audit: Volume Six 2011: Focus on Environment, Water and Regional Infrastructure, Audit Office of New South Wales. http://www.audit.nsw.gov.au/ArticleDocuments/226/01_Volume_Six_2011_Full_Report.pdf.aspx. Accessed 14 August 2014.
- AusIMM. (2013). Abandoned Mines Policy Statement, AusIMM and Discussion paper http://www.ausimm.com.au/content/docs/policy/abandoned_mines_policy_June_2013.pdf. http://www.ausimm.com.au/content/docs/policy/abandoned_mines_discussion_paper_June_2013.pdf. Accessed 23 April 2014.
- Australian and New Zealand Minerals and Energy Council/Minerals Council of Australia (ANZMEC/MCA). (2000) Strategic Framework for Mine Closure. http://www.sernageomin.cl/pdf/mineria/cierrefaena/DocumentosRelacionados/Strategic-Framework-Mine-Closure.pdf. Accessed 12 March 2014.
- Australian Broadcasting Commission. (2015). Protesters chain themselves to land clearing equipment at Maules Creek coal mine site. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-15/activists-disrupt-maules-creek-coal-mine/6109164. Accessed 15 March 2015.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics. (2001). 2017.3 - Census Of Population And Housing: Selected Education And Labour Force Characteristics For Statistical Local Areas, Queensland. http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/productsbytopic/58CE9B2ACC286C90CA256D01007F02EC?OpenDocument. Accessed 14 February 2014.
- Australian Government, Department of Resources, Energy and Tourism. (2009). Evaluating performance: monitoring and auditing. LPSD program for the mining industry. http://www.industry.gov.au/resource/Documents/LPSDP/EvaluatingPerformanceMonitoringAuditing_web.pdf. Accessed 5 April 2014.
- BCCCSP. (2014). Crown Contaminated Sites Program, 2014 Biennial report. Crown Land Opportunities and Restoration Branch, Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations, Victoria, British Columbia. www.agf.gov.bc.ca/clad/ccs/cabinet/reports/2014_CCSP_Biennial_Report.pdf. Accessed 5 July 2014.
- BCCCSP. (2012). Crown Contaminated Sites Program, Biennial Report. Crown Land Opportunities and Restoration Branch, Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations, Victoria, British Columbia. www.agf.gov.bc.ca/clad/ccs/cabinet/reports/12_CLORB_Biennial_Report.pdf. Accessed 14 February 2014.
- Bell, L, (2003). Management and remediation of abandoned mines. Australian Centre for Environmental Research (ACMER), Brisbane. http://www.jktech.com.au/sites/default/files/knowledge-transfer/other/AbandonedMinesTableofContents.pdf. Accessed 23 April 2014.
- Boger, D. (2012). Rheology and the resource industries. Proceedings of the Life-of-Mine 2012: Maximising rehabilitation outcomes conference, 10-12 July, Brisbane, Queensland, The AusIMM/CMLR Published by the Australasian institute of Mining and Metallurgy, Publication Series No 6/2012.Google Scholar
- Buya, T. (2013). Government policy on developing environmental friendly mining: success and challenges in MIRECO Korean Society Mineral and Energy Resources KSMER, 4th ISMR intercontinental Seoul COEX Hotel, Seoul Korea 29 May.Google Scholar
- Byrne, G. (2013). Long-term water management – the forgotten legacy of mine closure. Proceedings Water in Mining 2013, The Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, Melbourne, 163-168.Google Scholar
- Centre for Mined Land Rehabilitation. (2013). Submission to inquiry: Environment Protection Biodiversity Conservation Amendment Bill 2013 [Provisions].Google Scholar
- DMP, 2014. http://www.dmp.wa.gov.au/documents/Cuidelines_Closure_Plan.pdf. Accessed 24 May 2014. Accessed 2 February 2014.
- Chilean Copper Commission. (n.d.). http://www.cochilco.cl/english/. Accessed 4 February 2014.
- Doley D., Audet P. (2014). Changing restoration priorities in the 21st century – opportunities for novel ecosystem design in mine closure. Proceedings, Life of Mine conference, Brisbane, 16-18 July.Google Scholar
- Eden Project Post Mining Alliance. (2008). Background paper -ICMM Roundtable on the restoration of legacy sites. Eden Trust. Bodelva, Cornwall. www.postmining.org/documents/Roundtablebackgroundpaper.pdf. Accessed 4 April 2014.
- Edraki M., Huynh, T., Baumgartl T., et al. (2014). Designer tailings – an integrated model for tailings management. Proceedings, Life of Mine 2014 conference, Brisbane, 16-18 July 2014.Google Scholar
- Emerson, S. (2010). Speech on the mines and energy legislation amendment bill. Queensland government hansard. Wednesday 14 April 2010.Google Scholar
- Fraser Institute. (2013). Survey of Mining Companies, 2012/2013 Fraser Institute Annual Survey. http://www.fraserinstitute.org/uploadedFiles/fraser-ca/Content/research-news/research/publications/mining-survey-2012-2013.pdf. Accessed 4 May 2014.
- Gladwell, M. (2013). David and Goliath: Underdogs, misfits and the art of battling giants. New York: Back Bay Books.Google Scholar
- Government of Tasmania. (1996). Goldamere pty. ltd. (agreement) act. http://www.thelaw.tas.gov.au/tocview/content.w3p;doc_id=30++1996+AT@EN+20111122000000;rec=0. Accessed 3 May 2014.
- Hine, A., Kirsch, P., Amizlev, I. (2014). Red mud: art and the post-mining landscape. Artlink Magazine, 33(4).Google Scholar
- IAEA. (2014). Lessons learned from environmental remediation programmes. http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/Publications/PDF/Pub1630_web.pdf. Accessed 19 January.
- ICMM. (2009). Workshop on Artisanal and Small-Scale Mining (ASM) and Mining Companies. http://www.icmm.com/document/919. Accessed 5 May 2014.
- ICMM. (2008). Planning for integrated mine closure: toolkit http://www.icmm.com/document/310. Accessed 5 May 2014.
- ICMM. (2006). Good practice guidance for mining and biodiversity. http://www.icmm.com/page/1182/good-practice-guidance-for-mining-and-biodiversity. Accessed 5 May 2014.
- IIED. (2012). MMSD+10: Reflecting on a decade of mining and sustainable development, sustainable markets Discussion paper: June. http://pubs.iied.org/pdfs/16041IIED.pdf? Accessed 5 May 2014.
- International Network for Acid Prevention (n.d.). Global acid rock drainage guide. http://www.gardguide.com/index.php?title=Chapter_4#4.1_Introduction.
- IIED/WBCSD. (2002). Mining, minerals and the environment. In Breaking new ground report of the mining, minerals and sustainable development (MMSD) Project. http://pubs.iied.org/pdfs/G00902.pdf. Accessed 23 May 2014.
- IUCN-ICMM and Post-mining alliance. (2008). Roundtable on restoration of legacy sites. The Old Mill Inn, Toronto Canada. http://www.icmm.com/document/511. Accessed 23 May 2014.
- IUCN-ICMM (2006). Dialogue discussion report. http://cmsdata.iucn.org/downloads/2006_april_meeting_mining_eval.pdf. Accessed 23 May 2014.
- Keliher, L. (2007). Review of the roles and responsibilities of the Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Water, Environmental Protection Agency and Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries. Service delivery and performance commission, Queensland Government. http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/documents/tableOffice/TabledPapers/2007/5207T1077.pdf. Accessed 4 April 2014.
- Kelly, G., Slater, R. (1994). The mining environment database on abandoned mines, acid mine drainage, and land reclamation. Proceedings of the international land reclamation and mine drainage conference and third international conference on the abatement of acidic drainage. Volume 4: Abandoned mine lands and topical issues – SP 06D-94. https://inis.iaea.org/search/search.aspx?orig_q=RN:26040794. Accessed 2 April 2014.
- Kuipers, J., Maest, A., MacHardy, K., Lawson, G. (2006). Comparison of predicted and actual water quality at hardrock mines: the reliability of predictions in environmental impact statements. http://www.pebblescience.org/pdfs/ComparisonsReportFinal.pdf. Accessed 29 March 2014.
- Laurence, D. (2006). Why do mines close? In Mine Closure 2006, proceedings of the first international seminar on Mine closure 13-15 September. Australian Centre for Geomechanics, Western Australia. http://www.acg.uwa.edu.au/__data/page/3735/Table_of_Contents.pdf. Accessed 17 July 2014.
- Lechner, A., Unger, C., Edraki, M., Fletcher, A., Mulligan, D. (2011). Development of national abandoned mines inventory for risk modelling, Centre for Mined Land Rehabilitation. Poster, 7th Australian Workshop on Acid and Metalliferous Drainage, 21-24 June 2011, Darwin. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/236900953_DEVELOPMENT_OF_NATIONAL_ABANDONED_MINES_INVENTORY_FOR_RISK_MODELLING_National_Abandoned_Mines_Inventory_Future_work_Development_of_risk_model. Accessed 10 September 2014.
- MCMPR/MCA. (2010). Strategic framework for managing abandoned mines in the minerals industry. Ministerial Council on Mineral and Petroleum Resources, Canberra. www.industry.gov.au/resource/Mining/Documents/StrategicFrameworkforManagingAbandonedMines.pdf. Accessed 23 April 2014.
- McCarthy, B. (2014). The domains concept – 20 years on retrospective, obstacles and opportunities for effective life-of-mine implementation. Proceedings of AusIMM/CMLR Life-of-Mine conference, Brisbane, Queensland.Google Scholar
- Ministerial Council on Mineral and Petroleum Resources. (2009). National mine safety framework, implementation report. Canberra. www.industry.gov.au/resource/Documents/Mining/NMSF-Implementation-Report-June2009.pdf. Accessed 14 May 2014.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. (1998). OECD environmental performance reviews, Australia: conclusions and recommendations. http://www.environment.gov.au/system/files/resources/6d83bc2d-62ce-47c1-95b9-7d289d2a8285/files/oecd.pdf. Accessed 2 March 2014.
- Office of the Auditor General of British Columbia. (2002). Managing contaminated sites on provincial lands. http://www.bcauditor.com/pubs/2002/report5/managing-contaminated-sites-bcprovincial-lands. Accessed 6 April 2014.
- Olivari, A. (2014). Financial assurance for mine closure in Chile. Proceedings of Mine Closure Solutions, April 26−30, Brazil. http://www.mineclosuresolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Olivari-Alfonso-Financial-assurance-for-mine-closure-in-Chile.pdf. Accessed 25 July 2014.
- Paramita D., Asri, Y. (2011). Portrait of reclamation and post mining closure in Indonesia: case study coal mining in Samarinda, East Kalimantan. Indonesian Centre for Environmental Law, Jakarta.Google Scholar
- Pearman, G. (2009). 101 Things to do with a Hole in the Ground. Eden Project. Bodelva, Cornwell: UK.Google Scholar
- Peck P., Balkau, F., Kadyrzhanova, I., Daussa, R. (2005). Mining for closure: policies and guidelines for sustainable mining practice and closure of mines. United Nations Development Program (UNDP), Organisation for security and cooperation in Europe (OSCE), North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO). http://enrin.grida.no/environment-and-security/mining_src.pdf. Accessed 15 April 2014.
- Poulin, R., Jacques, M. (2009). Environmental bonding in mining – comparative analysis of regulatory requirements. Proceedings of the International seminar on environmental issues in the mining industry. EnviroMine, 30 September – 2 October. Santiago, Chile.Google Scholar
- Queensland Audit Office. (2014). Environmental regulation of the resources and waste industries. Report 15: 2013-14. https://www.qao.qld.gov.au/files/file/Reportspercent20andpercent20publications/Reportspercent20topercent20Parliamentpercent202013-14/RTP15Environmentalregulationoftheresourcesandwasteindustries.pdf. Accessed 23 April 2014.
- Queensland Audit Office. (2013). Results of audit: state public sector entities for 2012-13. https://www.qao.qld.gov.au/files/file/Reportspercent20andpercent20publications/Reportspercent20topercent20Parliamentpercent202013-14/RtP11Statepublicsectorentities2012-13.pdf. Accessed 23 February 2014.
- Queensland Government. (2006). New $3.4M water treatment plant opens at Mount Morgan - Media Statement. Minister for Natural Resources, Mines and Water. http://statements.qld.gov.au/Statement/Id/45237. Accessed 23 April 2014.
- Rittel, H., Webber, M. (1973). Dilemmas in a general theory of planning. Policy Sciences, 4(2), 155-169.Google Scholar
- Sassoon, M. (2009). Financial surety – guidelines for the implementation of financial surety for mine closure. The World Bank, Mining industry for Development. http://siteresources.worldbank.org/INTOGMC/Resources/7_eifd_financial_surety.pdf. Accessed 19 March 2014.
- Standing Council for Energy and Resources. (2013). Multiple land use framework and background document. http://www.scer.gov.au/workstreams/land-access/mluf/. Accessed 23 March 2014.
- Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act of 1977. http://www.osmre.gov/lrg/docs/SMCRA.pdf. Accessed 23 April 2014.
- Tasmanian Government, Environmental Protection Agency. (n.d.). Mt Lyell acid drainage remediation. http://epa.tas.gov.au/epa/mt-lyell-acid-drainage-remediation. Accessed 14 December 2014.
- The Equator Principles Association. (2013). The Equator Principles 2013. http://www.equator-principles.com/resources/equator_principles_III.pdf. Accessed 12 August 2014.
- Thomson, B., Pavey, C., Reardon, T. (2005). Recovery plan for cave-dwelling bats, Rhinolophus philippinensis, Hipposideros semoni and Taphozous troughtoni 2001–2005. http://www.environment.gov.au/system/files/resources/25a608d2-0755-48b2-972a-37c30ee38ac5/files/cave-dwelling-bats.pdf. Accessed 3 March 2014.
- Unger, C., Lechner, A., Kenway, J., et al. (2015). A jurisdictional maturity model for risk management, accountability and continual improvement of abandoned mine remediation programs. Resources Policy, 43, 1-10.Google Scholar
- Unger, C., Lechner, A., Wilson, I. (2013). Prevention of negative mining legacies – a mine rehabilitation perspective on legislative changes in Queensland. AusIMM Bulletin, February.Google Scholar
- Unger, C., Lechner, A. M., Glenn, V., Edraki, M., Mulligan, D. (2012). Mapping and prioritising rehabilitation of abandoned mines in Australia. Life of Mine 2012: Maximising Rehabilitation Outcomes: 10 - 12 July 2012. Brisbane, Australia. Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy.Google Scholar
- Unger, C. (2012a). Managing mining legacies forum, 16-17 July 2012. http://www.cmlr.uq.edu.au/Portals/0/MMLF/MMLpercent20forumpercent20report.pdf.
- Unger, C. (2009). Leading practice abandoned mine rehabilitation and post-mining land use, in Austria, Germany, England and Canada. http://www.churchilltrust.com.au/media/fellows/UNGER_Corinne_2009.pdf.
- Unger, C., Laurencont T., Keliher, L., et al. (2003). Rehabilitation plan for the Mount Morgan mine site. Queensland Department of Natural Resources & Mines. http://www.cmlr.uq.edu.au/Portals/0/MMLF/LOMpercent20Paperpercent20Ungerpercent20etpercent20alpercent20Julypercent202012.pdf
- United Nations. (1987). Our Common Future: Report of the World Commission on Environment and Development, http://conspect.nl/pdf/Our_Common_Future-Brundtland_Report_1987.pdf. Accessed 24 May 2014.
- United Nations Environment Programme. (2001). Abandoned mine sites: problems, issues and options. http://www.cepal.org/drni/noticias/noticias/9/7029/ProgrammeUNEP.pdf. Accessed 24 May 2014.
- Victoria Auditor General’s Office. (2011). Managing Contaminated Sites. Victorian Auditor-General’s Office. Melbourne. www.audit.vic.gov.au/publications/20111207-Contaminated-Sites/20111207-Contaminated-Sites.html. Accessed 1 February 2014.
- van de Graaff, S., Unger, C., and Evans, R. (2012). AusIMM Abandoned Mines Survey Report. AusIMM and Centre for Social Responsibility in Mining. https://www.ausimm.com.au/content/docs/abandoned_mines_survey-final_report.pdf.
- van Holthe, W. (2013). Mining management act passed. http://newsroom.nt.gov.au/mediaRelease/8347. Accessed: 23 April 2014.
- Western Australian Auditor General. (2011). Ensuring compliance with conditions on mining. Report 8. https://audit.wa.gov.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/report2011_08.pdf. Accessed 30 April 2014.
- Whitbread-Abrutat P., Kendle, A., Coppin, N. (2013). Lessons for the mining industry from non-mining landscape restoration experiences. Proceedings of Mine Closure.Google Scholar
- Whitbread-Abrutat P. (2008). Mining legacy survey informing the background paper. Eden Project, February 2008. http://www.postmining.org/documents/surveysummaryreportFINAL25Feb08.pdf. Accessed 1 March 2014.
- Worrall, R., Neil, D., Brereton, D., et al. (2009). Towards a sustainability criteria and indicators framework for legacy mine land. Journal of Cleaner Production 17(16), 1426-1434.Google Scholar