Coal Seam Gas
This chapter focuses on the development of the coal seam gas industry in Australia. The rapid development of unconventional energy resources since the mid-2000s has left the community divided with regard to the benefits and risks involved, and has risen to prominence in the Australian policy debate. In 2015, the Australian Government adopted its Domestic Gas Strategy, which emphasises the development of onshore gas resources as a national priority and recognises the need to ensure the responsible development of coal seam, shale and tight gas resources for the benefit of all Australians. “Introduction” section of this chapter discusses the significance of coal seam gas resources in the Australian context. “The Growth of the Coal Seam Gas Industry in Australia” section considers the issues that have arisen in relation to the growth of the coal seam gas industry and its impacts on communities. “Coal Seam Gas, Water, Air Pollution and Communities” section reflects on the regulation of coal seam gas activities. The conclusion addresses questions about the future of the industry.
Council of Australian Governments
Coal Seam Gas
Energy Information Administration
Independent Expert Scientific Committee on Coal Seam Gas and Large Coal Mining Development
Standing Council on Energy and Resources
United States of America
- Australian Government, Department of the Environment. (1999). The environmental protection and biodiversity conservation act, 1999. http://environment.gov.au/epbc/. Accessed 12 July 2015.
- Australian Competition and Consumer Commission. (2015). East Coast gas inquiry: issues paper. https://www.accc.gov.au/system/files//Eastpercent20Coastpercent20Gasper cent20Inquirypercent 20-percent20Issuespercent20paper.pdf. Accessed 12 July 2015.
- Australian Government, Department of Environment. (2014). Hydraulic fracturing (‘fraccing’) techniques, including reporting requirements and governance arrangements. http://www.resourcesandenergy.nsw.gov.au/landholders-and-community/coal-seam-gas/facts-maps-links/independent-research-on-csg. Accessed 20 July 2015
- Australian Government, Department of Industry, Innovation and Science. (2015). Review of the socioeconomic impacts of coal seam gas in Queensland. http://www.indutry.gov.au/Office-of-the-Chief-Economist/Publications/Documents/coal-seam-gas/Socioeconomic-impacts-of-coal-seam-gas-in-Queensland.pdf. Accessed 28 September 2015.
- Australian Government, Geosciences Australia. (n.d.). Coal factsheet. Australian atlas of minerals resources, mines and process centres. http://www.australianminesatlas.gov.au/education/fact_sheets/coal.html. Accessed 28 September 2015.
- Council of Australian Governments, Standing Council on Energy and Resources. (2013). The national harmonised regulatory framework for natural gas from coal seams 2013. http://www.scer.gov.au/sites/prod.energycouncil/files/publications/documents/National-Harmonised-Regulatory-Framework-for-Natural-Gas-from-Coal-Seams_1.pdf. Accessed 16 March 2015.
- CSIRO. (2012). Coal seam gas extraction and co-produced water. http://www.iesc.environment.gov.au/system/files/resources/3b6a1b5a-dde5-4c24-9b16-5520321c2765/files/fact-sheet-coal-seam-gas-extraction-co-produced-water.pdf. Accessed 4 July 2015.
- Day, S., Connell, L., Etheridge, D., et al. (2012). Greenhouse gas emissions from coal seam gas production in Australia. CSIRO, October.Google Scholar
- Energy Information Administration. (2015a). EIA’s annual energy outlook 2015. http://www.eia.gov/forecasts/aeo/section_energyprod.cfm. Accessed 5 December 2015.
- Energy Information Administration. (2015b). EIA’s annual energy outlook 2015: Australia. http://www.eia.gov/beta/international/analysis.cfm?iso=AUS. Accessed 5 December 2015.
- Energy Information Administration. (n.d.). Australia. https://www.eia.gov/beta/international/analysis_includes/countries_long/Australia/australia.pdf. Accessed 5 December 2015.
- Environmental Defenders Office, NSW. (2011). Ticking the box: flaws in the environmental assessment of coal seam gas exploration activities. http://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/edonsw/pages/291/attachments/original/1380666573/ticking_the_box.pdf?1380666573. Accessed 5 April 2014.
- Gibson, G., Sandiford, M., (2013). Seismicity & induced earthquakes. http://www.chiefscientist.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0017/31616/Seismicity-and-induced-earthquakes_Gibson-and-Sandiford.pdf. Accessed 6 March 2015.
- Howarth, R., Santoro, R., Ingraffea, A. (2011). Methane and the greenhouse-gas footprint of natural gas from shale formations. http://www.acsf.cornell.edu/Assets/ACSF/docs/attachments/Howarth-EtAl-2011.pdf. Accessed 31 September 2014.
- Lloyd, D., Luke, H., Boyd, W. (2013). Community perspectives of natural resource extraction: coal-seam gas mining and social identity in Eastern Australia. Coolabah, No. 10.Google Scholar
- New South Wales Government. (2015). The Mining and Petroleum Legislation Amendment (Grant of Coal and Petroleum Prospecting Titles) Bill. https://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/bills/DBAssets/bills/SecondReadSpeechLA/675/2Rpercent20Miningpercent20andpercent20cognatespercent20(5).pdf. Accessed 14 December 2015.
- New South Wales Government, Chief Scientist and Engineer. (2014). Final report: September. http://www.chiefscientist.nsw.gov.au/reports/coal-seam-gas-review/final-report-september-2014. Accessed 12 October 2015.
- New South Wales Government, Chief Scientist and Engineer. (2013). Initial report on the independent review of coal seam gas activities in NSW. http://www.chiefscientist.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/31246/130730_1046_CSE-CSG-July-report.pdf. Accessed 12 October 2015.
- New South Wales Government Legislative Council. (2011). General Purpose Standing Committee No. 5. Inquiry into coal seam gas. http://www.nswic.org.au/pdf/Memberspercent20only/2011/NLper cent20-per cent20CSGper cent20Transcript.pdf. Accessed 5 March 2014.
- New South Wales Government. (n.d.). Mining exploration and mining. http://www.resourcesandenergy.nsw.gov.au/miners-and-explorers. Accessed 15 March 2015.
- New South Wales Mineral Council. (2012). NSW mining 2012: a snapshot. http://www.nswmining.com.au/NSWMining/media/NSW-Mining/Publications/NSW-Mining-2012-A-Snapshot-FINAL.pdf. Accessed 12 October 2015.
- Queensland Government, Department of Natural Resources and Mines. (2015). Queensland’s petroleum and coal seam gas. https://www.business.qld.gov.au/invest/investing-queenslands-industries/mining/resources-potential/petroleum-gas. Accessed 3 January 2016.
- Sims, R. (2015). Keynote address: inquiry into Australia’s East Coast gas market. https://www.accc.gov.au/speech/keynote-address-inquiry-into-australiapercentE2percent80percent99s-east-coast-gas-market. Accessed 12 October 2015.
- Vaneckova, P., Bambrick, H. (2014). Approaches to baseline studies of human health in relation to industries with potential environmental impact. http://www.chiefscientist.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/56894/140903_Human-CSG_completed_report.pdf. Accessed 15 June 2015
- World Watch Institute. (2011). Comparing life-cycle greenhouse gas emissions from natural gas and coal. https://www.db.com/cr/en/docs/Natural_Gas_LCA_Update_082511. Accessed 26 February 2014.