Rare Earth Elements
This chapter investigates the current rare earth elements trade in the Asia-Pacific Region. It begins by noting the elements that fall within this category of minerals, noting their rarity. It then looks at the trade in the commodity and some of the issues associated with its supply chain. In the last part of the chapter I examine the tension between Japan and the United States over China's restriction of exports to these countries. The chapter concludes with some speculation about the future of the trade.
Chinese Communist Party
Dispute Settlement Body
General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade
Global Financial Crisis
Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries
United States Geological Survey
World Trade Organization
- Acaroglu, L. (2013, May 4). Where do old cellphones go to die? New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/05/opinion/sunday/where-do-old-cellphones-go-to-die.html. Accessed 30 December 2013.
- Baotou National Rare-Earth Hi-Tech Industrial Development Zone. Rare earth: an introduction. http://www.rev.cn/en/int.htm. Accessed 6 January 2015.
- Bourzac, K. (2013). The rare-earth crisis. MIT Review. http://www.technologyreview.com/featuredstory/423730/the-rare-earth-crisis/. Accessed 3 December 2013.
- Bousso, R., Schneyer, J. (2014, October 13). Exclusive: privately, Saudis tell oil market - get used to lower prices. Reuters. http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/13/us-oil-saudi-policy-idUSKCN0I201Y20141013. Accessed 15 October 2014.
- Bradsher, K. (2011, March 8). Mitsubishi quietly cleans up its former refinery. New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/09/business/energy-environment/09rareside.html. Accessed 3 December 2013.
- Clancy, H. (2014, February 22). Rare earths recycling takes on new Luster. Forbes. http://www.forbes.com/sites/heatherclancy/2014/02/25/rare-earth-recycling-takes-on-new-luster/. Accessed 3 March 2014.
- Clark, N. (2015, January 13). Falling oil prices, a boon to airlines, pose a challenge for Airbus and Boeing. New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/14/business/international/falling-oil-prices-a-boon-to-airlines-pose-a-challenge-for-airbus-and-boeing.html?_r=0. Accessed 19 September 2015.
- Ford. (2012). Sustainability 2012/2013. http://corporate.ford.com/microsites/sustainability-report-2012-13/supply-materials-elements. Accessed 3 December 2013.
- Freese, B. (2003). Coal: a human history. London: Arrow Books.Google Scholar
- Ministry of Commerce, People’s Republic of China. (2015). Official of Chinese Ministry of Commerce Comments on cancelling rare earth quotas. http://english.mofcom.gov.cn/article/newsrelease/significantnews/201501/20150100874624.shtml. Accessed 15 January 2015.
- Ministry of Science and Technology, the People’s Republic of China (n.d.). National high-tech R&D program (863 Program). http://www.most.gov.cn/eng/programmes1/200610/t20061009_36225.htm. Accessed 15 January 2015.
- Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries. (n.d.). OPEC basket price. http://www.opec.org/opec_web/en/data_graphs/40.htm?selectedTab=annually. Accessed 1 February 2015.
- Reuters. (2015a, January 27). Update 2 - Asian Airlines slash fuel surcharges but fares likely to rise. http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/27/australia-qantas-idUSL4N0V600F20150127. Accessed 27 January 2015.
- Reuters. (2015b, January 8). Thai Airways plans to fully hedge fuel costs as oil prices skid. http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/09/thai-airways-oil-hedging-idUSL3N0UO1IG20150109. Accessed 23 January 2015.
- Stringer, D. (2014, May 6). Lynas to sell shares, defer debt after rare earths slump. Bloomberg. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-05-05/lynas-to-sell-shares-defer-debt-payments-after-rare-earth-slump. Accessed 6 May 2015.
- Taylor, R. (2010, November 23). Australia commits to rare earths supply to Japan. Reuters. http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNews/idCATRE6AM1BF20101123. Accessed 5 November 2015.
- Ting, Ming Hwa. (2013). Rare metals and green technologies. In White, K., Durham, L. (Eds), America Goes Green: An Encyclopaedia of Eco-Friendly Culture in the United States. Santa Barbara: ABC-Clio, pp. 552-553.Google Scholar
- Ting, Ming Hwa. (2011). China’s rare earth motives. The Diplomat. http://thediplomat.com/2011/06/chinas-rare-earth-motives/ Accessed 5 May 2013.
- Wang, Z. (2015). Export quota system for earths abolished. China Daily, 6 January. http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/business/2015-01/06/content_19245940.htm. Accessed 15 January 2015.
- World Trade Organization. Article XX: general exceptions. http://www.wto.org/english/res_e/booksp_e/gatt_ai_e/art20_e.pdf, p. 565. Accessed 5 December 2015.