The Norwegian Fishers’ Association, Norway
This chapter continues to explore the high level of uncertainty regarding fish stocks by investigating the Norwegian state’s response to the cod crisis in 1989. In this context, the Individual Vessel Quota (IVQ) system was introduced in 1990. By investigating the policy process of the IVQ, the chapter provides an analysis of the dynamic interactions between the state and the Norwegian Fishers’ Association (NFA). The introduction of IVQs marks a start of new fisheries co-management in which the NFA is no longer the only representative of the industry but has to compete with other actors. This finding shows that in fisheries governance, the state often has the capacity to bring new actor(s) into the network for meta-governance purposes. The chapter claims that in fisheries co-management the relation between the FA and the state is not an equal one in terms of authority. Instead the state often plays a central role.
- Davis, Anthony, and Svein Jentoft. 2003. The Challenge and the Promise of Indigenous People’s Fishing Rights: From Dependency to Agency. In Indigenous Peoples: Resource Management and Global Rights, ed. Svein Jentoft, Henry Minde, and Ragnar Nilsen. Delft: Eburon Academic Publishers.Google Scholar
- FAO. 2003. Introducing Fisheries Subsidies. http://www.fao.org/3/a-y4647e/. Accessed 20 May 2014.
- Gran, Thorvald. 2010. Innovation Systems and Regulation Regimes in Norwegian Fisheries: The Explanatory Power of Networks in the Triple Helix. http://www.leydesdorff.net/th8/TRIPLE%20HELIX%20-%20VIII%20CONFERENCE/PROCEEDINGS/0042_Gran_Thorvald_O-005/innovation%20systems%20in%20Norwegian%20fisheries%20Madrid%20bas%20berg%20x_Paper%2081.doc. Accessed 7 May 2015.
- Gullestad, Peter, Asgeir Aglen, Asmund Bjordal, Geir Blom, Sverre Johansen, and Jørn Krog. 2014. Changing Attitudes 1970–2012: Evolution of the Norwegian Management Framework to Prevent Overfishing and to Secure Long-term Sustainability. ICES Journal of Marine Science 71 (2): 173–182.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hersoug, Bjorn. 2005. Closing the Commons: Norwegian Fisheries Management from Open Access to Private Property. Delft: Eburon Academic Publishers.Google Scholar
- Holm, Peter, and Stein Arne Ranes. 1996a. The Individual Vessel Quota System in the Norwegian Arctic Coastal Cod Fisheries. http://dlc.dlib.indiana.edu/dlc/bitstream/handle/10535/8176/The%20Individual%20Vessel%20Quota%20System%20in%20the%20Norwegian%20Arcticpdf.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y. Accessed 20 May 2014.
- Isaksen, John R. 2000. Subsidies to the Norwegian Fishing Industry: An Update. http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:fxGrBid1MokJ: https://nofimaas.sharepoint.com/sites/public/_layouts/15/download.aspx%3Fguestaccesstoken%3DiKT8ZV8EMfHAJgAusP4IGIFifF%252FYPEpVcg9nZP1j0y0%253D%26docid%3D03497de705e4e4d0fbd0caab66bbf1432+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au. Accessed 27 May 2015.
- ———. 2014. Do National Resources Have to Be Centrally Managed? Vested Interests and Institutional Reform in Norwegian Fisheries Governance. Maritime Studies 13 (5): 1–16.Google Scholar
- Makino, M., A.S. Cabanban, and S. Jentoft. 2014. Fishers’ Organizations: Their Role in Decision-Making for Fisheries and Conservation. In Governance of Marine Fisheries and Biodiversity Conservation: Interaction and Coevolution, ed. Serge M. Garcia, Jake Rice, and Anthony Charles. Wiley Blackwell (Online Book).Google Scholar
- Maurstad, Anita. 1992. Closing the Commons—Opening the “Tragedy”: Regulating North-Norwegian Small-scale Fishing. http://dlc.dlib.indiana.edu/dlc/bitstream/handle/10535/2050/Closing_the_Commons_-_opening_the_Tragedy__Regulating_North-Norwegian_Small-Scale_Fishing.pdf?sequence=1. Accessed 10 June 2015.
- Nilsen, Ragnar. 2003. From Norwegianization to Coastal Sami Uprising. In Indigenous Peoples: Resource Management and Global Rights, ed. Svein Jentoft, Henry Minde, and Ragnar Nilsen. Delft: Eburon Academic Publishers.Google Scholar
- Nordic Council of Ministers (NCM). 2009. Nordic Experience of Fisheries Management. http://ec.europa.eu/fisheries/reform/docs/nordic_council_02_en.pdf. Accessed 12 May 2015.
- OECD. 2006. Financial Support to Fisheries. http://www.oecd.org/agriculture/agricultural-policies/39322313.pdf. Accessed 5 April 2015.
- Smith, Carsten. 2014. Fisheries in Coastal Sami Areas; Geopolitical Concerns? Arctic Review on Law and Politics 5: 4–10.Google Scholar
- Søreng, Siri Ulfsdatter. 2007. Fishing Rights Struggles. In Norway: Political or Legal Strategies? http://commission-on-legal-pluralism.com/volumes/55/soreng-art.pdf. Accessed 21 July 2014.
- ———. 2013. Legal Pluralism in Norwegian Inshore Fisheries: Differing Perceptions of Fishing Rights in Sami Finnmark. Maritime Studies 12 (9): 1–21.Google Scholar