Vinh Giang Fisheries Association, Vietnam
This chapter focuses on answering a big question about meta-governance: whether a weak capacity state can still practise its meta-governance role. In this case, the state is challenged by shortages of resources, particularly expertise and scientific knowledge about the aquatic system of the lagoon waters. Accordingly, the state has involved the Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations via the Integrated Management of Lagoons Project. This chapter’s central argument is that in fisheries co-management arrangements the state, even with weak capacities in terms of resources, can still play a central role in governance processes. This is supported by investigating to what extent local governments have successfully implemented their policy on reducing and rearranging fishing gear in Tam Giang Lagoon, Vietnam, particularly at Vinh Xuan Commune, by working with Vinh Giang Fisheries Association since early 2000s.
- DARD. 2010. Report on IMOLA Activities. Hue City, Vietnam.Google Scholar
- DOFI. 2005. Bao cao Tong ke cong tac nuoi trong thuy san nam 2005 va Phuong huong nhiem vu ke hoach nam 2006. Hue: DOFI. [DOFI. 2005. Annual Reports on Aquaculture in 2005 and Plans for 2006. Hue: DOFI].Google Scholar
- Government of Thua Thien Hue Province. 2004. Decision No. 3677/QD-UB on Approval of the Overall Planning for the Management and Exploitation of Fishery Resources on the Lagoon System of Thua Thien Hue Province up to 2010.Google Scholar
- ———. 2005. Regulations on the Management of Lagoon Fisheries in Thua Thien Hue. Google Scholar
- Government of Vietnam (GOV). 2003. Law on Fisheries 2003.Google Scholar
- Hoa, Hoang Huu. 2005. Chuyen dich co cau kinh te nganh theo huong xuat khau va ben vung o vung dam pha ven bien Thua Thien Hue. Tap chi khoa hoc-Dai hoc Hue 28: 5–11. [Trans.: Directing the Economic Structure of the Coastal Areas of Thua Thien Hue Towards Export-Oriented and Sustainable Development. Scientific Journal of Hue University 28: 5–11].Google Scholar
- Hop, Nguyen Van, Hoang Thai Long, Nguyen Hai Phong, and Thuy Chau To. 2006. Chat luong nuoc dam pha Tam Giang-Cau Hai-Hien trang, lo lang va giai phap kiem soat. Paper Presented at National Lagoon Workshop, Hue City, Vietnam. [Trans.: Water Quality of Tam Giang-Cau Hai Lagoons-Current Status, Concerns and Measures to Control Water Quality].Google Scholar
- IMOLA Project. 2011. Workshop Proceedings: IMOLA Seventh Technical Workshop: The IMOLA Project Phase I and II: Highlights and Constrainsts. Environmental Control, Sustainable Tourism and Private–Public Parnerships. Hue City, Vietnam.Google Scholar
- Takahashi, Baku, and Arie Pieter van Duijn. 2012. Operationalizing Fisheries Co-management. Lessons Learned from Lagoon Fisheries Co-management in Thua Thien Hue Province, Viet Nam. http://www.fao.org/documents/card/en/c/ec606ec4-de5a-5f75-aa6a-a8cf89860104/. Accessed 21 May 2014.
- Thang, Le Van, Nguyen Dinh Huy, Hoang Ngoc Tuong Van, Nguyen Quang Hung, Nguyen Huy Anh, and Ho Thi Ngoc Hieu. 2006. Thach thuc tu viec nuoi trong thuy san ven dam pha Tam Giang-Cau Hai hien nay va mot so giai phap khac phuc. Paper Presented at the National Lagoon Workshop, Hue City, Vietnam. [Trans.: Current Challenges from Shrimp Farming Along Tam Giang-Cau Hai lagoons and solutions].Google Scholar
- Vinh Giang Fisheries Association. 2014. Annual Report 2014. Hue City: Vietnam.Google Scholar
- Xuan, Mai Van, and Phan Van Hoa. 2006. Hieu qua kinh te nuoi tom o vung dam pha huyen Phu Vang tinh Thua Thien Hue. Paper Presented at the National Lagoon Workshop, Hue City, Vietnam. [Trans.: Assessment on Shrimp Farming in Phu Vang District, Thua Thien Hue Province].Google Scholar