Understanding Health Service Delivery Using Spatio-Temporal Patient Mobility Data
- 1.2k Downloads
This research aims to identify and analyze mobility patterns and trends across eighty-one provinces in Turkey to understand spatio-temporal characteristics of health-service areas at the national level. In the study we focus on classification of mobility characteristics of different health administration areas with a comprehensive spatial and temporal perspective. We identified four major clusters in addition to several smaller and isolated ones. Statistical tests show that groups identified by clustering patient mobility data correlate, in a statistically significant manner, with all but one of the basic health-care indicators considered. Our analysis identifies several important patterns revealing the level of effectiveness of Turkish health-care delivery in certain regions.
KeywordsData analysis for health-care Patient mobility Patient mobility analysis Health service delivery Turkish health-care system Clustering Gandy nomogram
This research was sponsored by the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK) under the International Doctoral Research Fellowship Programme (Grant number: 1059B141400289). The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of TUBITAK.
We would like to express our sincere thanks and appreciation to both the Republic of Turkey Social Security Institution and the Karacadağ Development Agency for providing us the patient mobility data for our research.
- 4.Institution of Medicine. Crossing the quality chasm: a new health system for the 21st century. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press; 2001.Google Scholar
- 8.Patient mobility. 2012. [http://www.euractiv.com/health/patient-mobility/article-148956].
- 9.Directive 2011/24/EU of The European Parliament and of the Council [http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?qid=1396269481289&uri=CELEX:32011L0024].
- 10.Rosenmöller M, McKee M, Baeten R. Patient mobility in the European union: learning from experience. Copenhagen: WHO Regional Office for Europe; 2006.Google Scholar
- 11.Paolella G. Pediatric health mobility: is it only an Italian problem? Transl Med UniSa. 2012;4:57–61.Google Scholar
- 16.Messina G, Vigiani N, Lispi L, Nante N. Patient migration among the Italian regions in 2003. Ital J Public Health. 2008;5(1) doi: 10.2427/5854.
- 20.Gandy R. A graphical representation of the inter-relationship between districts. Hosp Health Serv Rev. 1979;75(2):50.Google Scholar
- 22.2003–2015 Tableau Software [www.tableausoftware.com].
- 23.Statistical Package R. A language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing; 2009.Google Scholar
- 25.Turkey Specialized Planning Required Health Services, 2011–2023 [http://www.tkhk.gov.tr/DB/8/743_DB_8_turkiye-de-ozellikli-planlama-gerektiren-saglik-hizmetleri-].
- 26.Turkish Statistical Institute [http://www.turkstat.gov.tr].