Adapting Side Information to Transmission Conditions in Precoding Systems
This work proposes an hybrid precoding method in a Multiple-Input/Multiple-Output Frequency Division Duplex (MIMO FDD) system with the objective of reducing the load associated to transmit side information needed to adapt precoding matrices in both the transmitter and the receiver. The type of precoding is determined at the transmitter by using a simple rule that takes into account a receive Signal–to–Noise Ratio (SNR) estimate. The receiver computes the magnitude of the channel level fluctuations and determines the time instants when long pilot sequences are needed to estimate the precoding matrices. Using a low cost feedback channel, the receiver indicates to the transmitter both the type of precoder and transmit frames to be used.
KeywordsChannel Estimation Channel State Information Pilot Symbol Feedback Channel Linear Minimum Mean Square Error
This work has been funded by the Galician Government under grants ED431C 2016-045 and ED341D R2016/012 as well as by the Spanish Government under grants TEC2013-47141-C4-1-R (RACHEL project) and TEC2016-75067-C4-1-R (CARMEN project).
- 1.Castro, P.M., Garca-Naya, J.A., Dapena, A., Iglesia, D.: Channel estimation techniques for linear precoded systems: supervised, unsupervised, and hybrid approaches. Sig. Process. 91(7), 1578–1588 (2011). http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0165168411000028 CrossRefzbMATHGoogle Scholar
- 6.Hunger, R., Joham, M., Utschick, W.: Extension of linear and nonlinear transmit filters for decentralized receivers. In: European Wireless 2005, vol. 1, pp. 40–46, April 2005Google Scholar
- 7.Karimi, H.R., Sandell, M., Salz, J.: Comparison between transmitter and receiver array processing to achieve interference nulling and diversity. In: Proceedings of the PIMRC, vol. 3, pp. 997–1001 (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Kusume, K., Joham, M., Utschick, W., Bauch, G.: Efficient Tomlinson-Harashima precoding for spatial multiplexing on flat MIMO channel. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Communications, Seoul, Korea, vol. 3, pp. 2021–2025, May 2005Google Scholar
- 10.Labrador, J., Castro, P.M., Vazquez-Araujo, F.J., Dapena, A.: Hybrid precoding scheme with partial CSI at the transmitter. In: 16th International Conference on Knowledge-Based and Intelligent Information and Engineering Systems (KES 2012), September 2012Google Scholar
- 11.Nossek, J.A., Joham, M., Utschick, W.: Transmit processing in MIMO wireless systems. In: Proceedings of the 6th IEEE Circuits and Systems Symposium on Emerging Technologies: Frontiers of Mobile and Wireless Communication, Shanghai, China, pp. I-18 - I-23, May/June 2004Google Scholar