Two Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI) symposia, organized and held at Stanford in 2015 and 2016, are reviewed separately. After the second of these two symposia was completed, the conference organizers solicited book chapters from those who participated, as well as more widely, but framed by these two symposia. In this introduction, we review briefly the two symposia and then individually introduce the contributing chapters that follow.
- Etzioni, O. (2016, 9/20), “No, the Experts Don’t Think Superintelligent AI is a Threat to Humanity. Ask the people who should really know”, MIT Technology Review, from https://www.technologyreview.com/s/602410/no-the-experts-dont-think-superintelligent-ai-is-a-threat-to-humanity/
- Fisher, M. (2013, 10/16), “The forgotten story of Iran Air Flight 655, Washington Post, from https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2013/10/16/the-forgotten-story-of-iran-air-flight-655/?utm_term=.cdf037448c6e
- Hollnagel, E. (2009), The ETTO Principle: Efficiency-Thoroughness Trade-Off: Why Things That Go Right Sometimes Go Wrong. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.
- Howarth, F. (2014, 9/2), “The Role of Human Error in Successful Security Attacks”, SecurityIntelligence, from https://securityintelligence.com/the-role-of-human-error-in-successful-security-attacks/
- Lawless, W.F. (published online December 2016; forthcoming), The entangled nature of interdependence. Bistability, irreproducibility and uncertainty, Journal of Mathematical Psychology, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jmp.2016.11.001
- Levs, J., Smith-Spark, L. and Yan, H. (2015, 3/26), “Germanwings Flight 9525 co-pilot deliberately crashed plane, officials say”, CNN, from http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/26/europe/france-germanwings-plane-crash-main/
- Markoff, J. (2015, 4/6), “Planes Without Pilots”, New York Times, from https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/07/science/planes-without-pilots.html
- Moon, W., Yoo, K. and Y. Choi 2011, Air Traffic Volume and Air Traffic Control Human Errors, Journal of Transportation Technologies, 1(3): 47-53, doi: 10.4236/jtts.2011.13007.
- NTSB (2001, May), Marine Accident Brief DCA-01-MM-022 Collision 2/9/2001, National Transportation Safety Board, Washington, D.C. 20594, NTSB/MAB-05/01 from https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/MAB0501.pdf
- Showstack, R. (2014, 10/21), “Taiwan Shipwreck Is Major Loss for Ocean Research, Scientists Say. The 10 October shipwreck of Taiwan’s R/V Ocean Researcher V, which resulted in two deaths, is a major setback for ocean research in Taiwan, according to scientists”, EOS, from https://eos.org/articles/taiwan-shipwreck-major-loss-ocean-research-scientists-say
- Tetlock, P.E. and Gardner, D. (2015), Superforecasting: The Art and Science of Prediction, Crown.Google Scholar
- USDC (2012, 2/22) United States District Court Eastern District of Louisiana, MDL No. 2179 “Deepwater Horizon” in the Gulf. In re: Oil Spill by the Oil Rig of Mexico, on April 20, 2010. Applies to: 10-4536. Case 2:10-md-02179, Document 5809.Google Scholar
- Wiegmann, D. Faaborg, T., Boquet, A., Detwiler, C., Holcomb, K. and Shappell, S. (2005), “Human Error and General Aviation Accidents: A Comprehensive, Fine-Grained Analysis Using HFACS”, Office of Aerospace Medicine, DOT/FAA/AM-05/24, Washington, DC 20591, from https://www.faa.gov/data_research/research/med_humanfacs/oamtechreports/2000s/media/0524.pdf