Collaborate Algorithms for the Multi-channel Program Download Problem in VOD Applications
Video-on-demand (VOD) is a multimedia technology that allows users to watch video programs from a server flexibly at any time. In recent years, VOD applications are very popular in many networks, especially in internet of vehicles where video programs can often be collaboratively downloaded from multiple channels simultaneously. In this paper, we first study the Multi-Channel Program Download Problem (McPDP), which is to download a set of interested programs from different channels within limited time. We prove that McPDP is NP-complete by reduction from 3-SAT(3). For another version with neatly placed programs of equal length, the aligned multi-channel program download problem (AMcPDP), we present an algorithm by transforming it into a max-flow problem. Finally, we have also analyzed the performance of these proposed algorithms by simulation using MATLAB.
KeywordsVideo-on-demand Multi-channel Program Download Problem NP-complete Scheduling algorithms
- 5.Aggarwal, C.C., Wolf, J.L., Yu, P.S.: A permutation-based pyramid broadcasting scheme for video-on-demand systems. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Multimedia Computing and Systems, pp. 118–126 (1996)Google Scholar
- 12.Zaixin, L., Shi, Y., Weili, W., Bin, F.: Efficient data retrieval scheduling for multi-channel wireless data broadcast. In: Proceedings of the 31st IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM), pp. 891–899 (2012)Google Scholar
- 14.Paris, J.-F., Carter, S., Long, D.D.E.: Efficient broadcasting protocols for video on demand. In: MASCOTS, pp. 127–132 (1998)Google Scholar
- 15.Aggarwal, V., Robert Calderbank, A., Gopalakrishnan, V., Jana, R., Ramakrishnan, K.K., Yu, F.: The effectiveness of intelligent scheduling for multicast video-on-demand. In: ACM Multimedia, pp. 421–430 (2009)Google Scholar
- 16.Darmann, A., Dcker, J.: Monotone 3-Sat-4 is NP-complete. CoRR abs/1603.07881 (2016)Google Scholar