ROIs Segmentation in Facial Images Based on Morphology and Density Concepts
- 906 Downloads
In computer vision, facial images have several applications such as Facial Expression Recognition and Face Recognition. The segmentation of Regions Of Interest (ROIs) in face images are relevant, because those provide information about facial expressions. In this paper a method to segment mouth and eyebrows in face images based on edge detection and pixel density is proposed. According to the experimental results, our approach extracts the ROIs in face images taken from different public datasets.
KeywordsFace images Face ROIs segmentation Image processing Expression recognition
This work was partially supported by the CONACyT Mastering Scholarship 701191, and the project OLLJ-ING17-I, VIEP-BUAP.
- 1.Corneau, C., Oliu, M., Cohn, J., Escalera, S.: Survey on RGB, 3D, thermal, and multimodal approaches for facial expression recognition: history, trends, and affect-related applicants. IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Mach. Intell. 99, 2–20 (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.Panning, A., Niese, R., Al-Hamadi, A., Michaelis, B.: A new adaptative approach for histogram based mouth segmentation. Int. J. Electr. Comput. Energ. Electron. Commun. Eng. 3(8), 1564–1569 (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Martins, P., César, F., Nardênio, A.: A real-time eyebrow segmentation and tracking technique to support an electric wheelchair interface. In: Proceedings of International Conference on Computer as a Tool (EUROCON), pp. 1–6 (2015)Google Scholar
- 8.Hoang, L., Prabhu, U., Savvides, M.: A novel eyebrow segmentation and eyebrow shape-based identification. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Joint Conference on Biometrics, pp. 1–8 (2014)Google Scholar
- 9.Viola, P., Jones, P.: Rapid object detection using a boosted cascade of simple features. In: Proceedings of Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 511–518 (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Ester, M., Kriegel, H.P., Sander, J., Xu, X.: A density-based algorithm for discovering clusters in large spatial databases with noise. KDD 96(34), 226–231 (1996)Google Scholar
- 12.Pantic, M., Valstar, M., Rademarker, R., Maat, L.: Web-based database for facial expression Analysis. In: Proceedings of International Conference on Multimedia and Expo, pp. 5–10 (2005)Google Scholar
- 13.Michael, J., Shigeru, A., Miyuki, K., Jiro, G.: Coding facial expressions with gabor wavelets. In: Proceedings of International Conference on Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition, pp. 200–205 (1998)Google Scholar