Multi-aspect Assessment and Classification of Porous Materials Designed for Tissue Engineering
The paper presents an approach to classification of porous materials used in biomedicine based on computer-aided analysis of scanning electron microscope images of sections of the examined material. Due to various size and high irregularity of forms of the pores visible in the images selected morphological parameters are used to the description of the samples of the porous material. The space of morphological parameters is automatically divided into porosity classes which are a step to establish the classes of porous material quality, based on suggestions of experts. An approach to verification of the morphological parameters utility to discriminate the materials according to their porosity is also proposed.
KeywordsPorous materials Tissue engineering Image analysis Morphological parameters
The authors would like to thank prof. Andrzej Chwojnowski and his P.T. Collaborators from the Nalecz Institute of Biocybernetics and Biomedical Engineering of PAS in Warsaw for providing us with examples of SEM images of porous materials used in this work.
- 1.Thongmaka, N., Sridangb, P., Puetpaiboona, U., He’rane, M., Lesagee, G., Grasmicke, A.: Performances of a submerged anaerobic membrane bioreactor (AnMBR) for latex serum treatment. Desalination Water Treat. 57, 20694–20706 (2016)Google Scholar
- 2.Johira, M.A.H., Shimb, W.G., Pradhana, M., Vigneswarana, S., Kandasamya, J.: Benefit of adding adsorbent in submerged membrane microfiltration treatment of wastewater. Desalination Water Treat. 57, 20683–20693 (2016)Google Scholar
- 5.Płończak, M., Czubak, J., Hoser, G., Chwojnowski, A., Kawiak, J., Dudziński, K., Czumińska, K.: Repair of articular cartilage defects with cultured chondrocytes on polysulphonic membranes experimental studies in rabbits. Biocyb. Biomed. Eng. 28, 87–93 (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Chwojnowski, A., Przytulska, M., Wierzbicka, D., Kulikowski, J.L., Wojciechowski, C.: Membrane’s porosity evaluation by computer-aided analysis of SEM images, a preliminary study. Biocyb. Biomed. Eng. 32(4), 65–75 (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Pitas, I.: Digital Image Processing Algorithms and Applications. A Wiley-Interscience Publication, New York (2013)Google Scholar