Pedagogical Voice in an E-Learning System: Content Expert Versus Content Novice
Studies have shown student performance in virtual learning environments is improved by the presence of a virtual pedagogical agent, particularly when the agent is voiced by a human voice. Furthermore, studies have shown students achieve higher learning outcomes when their teacher is a content expert in the material being taught. This study examines the question at the intersection of these two domains: Do students achieve higher learning outcomes in a virtual learning environment if the actor voicing the virtual agent is a content expert in the material being taught? The analysis found no evidence of such an effect, although more research should be conducted before firm conclusions are drawn.
KeywordsPedagogical agents e-Learning Content expertise Narration
Many thanks to the administrators, teachers, and students who participated in the study. Thanks to our novel virtual tutor voice actors, Khushboo Bansal, Joel Dylong, Carmel Levy, and Maureen Royce. Thanks also to Leonid Andrulaytis, Olga Ipatova, Alex Khachatryan, Julia Khachatryan, Yulia Konovalova, Victor Kostyuk, Viktoriya Kozyreva, Sergey Makorov, Nikolay Prokopyev, Andrey Romashov, Nathaniel Rounds, Dmitriy Safonov, Yaroslav Vasilyev, Michael Von Korff, Dussy Yermolayeva, and all others who provided guidance, assistance, and other contributions to the project.
- 3.Clark, R.C., Mayer, R.E.: e-Learning and the Science of Instruction, 4th edn. Wiley, Hoboken (2016). doi: 10.1002/9781119239086
- 4.Dreifus, C.: Salman Khan turned family tutoring into Khan Academy. The New York Times, 27 January 2014. https://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/28/science/salman-khan-turned-family-tutoring-into-khan-academy.html. Accessed 9 Feb 2017
- 5.Hanushek, E.A., Rivkin, S.G.: Chapter 18 teacher quality. In: Hanushek, E.A. (ed.) Handbook of the Economics of Education, pp. 1051–1078 (2006). doi: 10.1016/s1574-0692(06)02018-6
- 6.Horn, M.B., Staker, H.: The Rise of K-12 Blended Learning. Innosight Institute, Inc., Mountain View (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Mingle, L., Kostyuk, V., Khachatryan, G.: Adapting international math curricula using an online platform. In: Poster to be Presented at The Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association in San Antonio (2017)Google Scholar
- 11.Mulqueeny, K., Mingle, Leigh A., Kostyuk, V., Baker, Ryan S., Ocumpaugh, J.: Improving engagement in an e-Learning environment. In: Conati, C., Heffernan, N., Mitrovic, A., Verdejo, M.F. (eds.) AIED 2015. LNCS, vol. 9112, pp. 730–733. Springer, Cham (2015). doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-19773-9_103 CrossRefGoogle Scholar