Towards Transparent Real-Time Privacy Risk Assessment of Intelligent Transport Systems
There are many privacy concerns within Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS). On the one hand, end-users are concerned about their privacy risk exposure, while on the other hand, ITS providers need to claim privacy awareness and document compliance with regulations or otherwise face devastating fines. One approach to address these concerns is to use methods specifically developed to assess privacy risks of ITS. The literature lacks such methods, and the complex and dynamic nature of ITS introduces challenges that need to be properly addressed when assessing privacy risks. The main challenges are related to real-time assessment of privacy risks to (1) inform end-users about exposed privacy risks, and (2) help providers asses privacy-compliance risks. We propose a method to privacy risk assessment addressing these challenges. The method is exemplified on an ITS-example. The initial results indicate feasibility of the method and propose directions for future work.
KeywordsPrivacy risk assessment Intelligent Transport Systems Real-time risk assessment
This work has been conducted as part of the PrivacyAssessment@SmartCity project funded by SINTEF, as well as the WISER project (653321) funded by the European Commission within the Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme.
- 1.Erdogan, G., Omerovic, A., Natvig, M.K., Tardy, I.C.R.: Needs and challenges concerning privacy risk management within Intelligent Transport Systems. Technical report A27830, SINTEF (2016)Google Scholar
- 2.European Parliament. Directive 2010/40/EU (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.European Parliament. Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (2016)Google Scholar
- 5.Hietanen, S.: MaaS-the new transport model? Eurotransport Mag. 12(2), 2–4 (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Pultier, A., Harrand, N., Brandtzæg, P.B.: Privacy in mobile apps: measuring privacy risks in mobile apps. Technical report A27493, SINTEF (2016)Google Scholar
- 9.Ren, D., Du, S., Zhu, H.: A novel attack tree based risk assessment approach for location privacy preservation in the VANETs. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC 2011), pp. 1–5. IEEE (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.WISER: Cyber risk modelling language and guidelines, preliminary version. Technical report D3.2, WISER (2016)Google Scholar