Collaborative Learning, Relational Responsibility, and Resilient Communities
- 262 Downloads
The final chapter examines how education empowers people to exercise their will and contribute to the well-being of their communities, which in turn contributes to the movement from conflict to sustainable peace. Collaborative learning and relational responsibility are key principles of such education. Collaborative learning, reinforced by the principle of relational responsibility, centers on dialogue and interaction as vehicles with which to achieve collective understanding and individual insight. Educators and students become jointly responsible for education in which all can participate and grow. After a theoretical discussion on collaborative learning and relational responsibility, this chapter presents implications for practice, research, and policy in the conflict-resolution field. It concludes with some thoughts on peace.
KeywordsCollaborative Learning Process Relational Responsibility Fragile Societies OSCE Mission Fragile Communities
- Bourriaud, N., S. Pleasance, F. Woods, and M. Copeland. 2002. Relational Aesthetics. Les Presses.Google Scholar
- Broome, Benjamin. 2009. Building Relational Empathy Through an Interactive Design Process. In Handbook of Conflict Analysis and Resolution, ed. Dennis J.D. Sandole, Sean Byrne, Ingrid Sandole-Staroste, and Jessica Senehi, 185–200. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Bruffee, Kenneth A. 1999. Collaborative Learning: Higher Education, Interdependence, and the Authority of Knowledge. ERIC. http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/recordDetail?accno=ED430508. Accessed February 25, 2017.
- Clarkson, Linda, Vern Morrissette, and Gabriel Régallet. 1992. Our Responsibility to the Seventh Generation-Indigenous Peoples and Sustainable Development. Winnipeg: International Institute for Sustainable Development.Google Scholar
- Dachler, H.P., and D.M. Hosking. 1995. The Primacy of Relations in Socially Constructing Organizational Realities. In Management and Organization: Relational Alternatives to Individualism, ed. D.M. Hosking, H.P. Dachler, and K.J. Gergen, 1–28. Aldershot: Avebury.Google Scholar
- Davies, Lynn. 2003. Education and Conflict: Complexity and Chaos. Psychology Press.Google Scholar
- Deutsch, Morton. 1973. The Resolution of Conflict: Constructive and Destructive Processes. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.Google Scholar
- Duda, Alexandra, Maria Golubeva, and Terence Clifford-Amos. 2013. Teacher Education and Training in the Western Balkans. Publications Office of the European Union. http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/education_culture/repository/education/international-cooperation/documents/western-balkans/teacher-training-report_en.pdf. Accessed February 25, 2017.
- Fogel, A., T.M. de Koeijer, A. Pantoja, C. Secrist, and D. Vedeler. 2001. A Relational Perspective on the Development of Self and Emotion. In Identity and Emotion: Development Through Self-Organization, ed. Harke A. Bosma and E. Saskia Kunnen, 93–114. New York: Cambridge University Press.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gergen, Kenneth J. 2009. Relational Being: Beyond Self and Community. 1st ed. Cary, NC: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Giddens, Anthony. 1984. The Constitution of Society: Outline of the Theory of Structuration. Berkeley: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Goodsell, Anne S. 1992. Collaborative Learning: A Sourcebook for Higher Education. University Park, PA: National Center on Postsecondary Teaching, Learning and Assessment. http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/recordDetail?accno=ED357705. Accessed February 25, 2017.
- Hiltz, Starr Roxanne. 1998. Collaborative Learning in Asynchronous Learning Networks: Building Learning Communities. http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/recordDetail?accno=ED427705. Accessed February 25, 2017.
- Hoskins, Te Kawehau, Betsan Martin, and Maria Humphries. 2011. The Power of Relational Responsibility. https://jyx.jyu.fi/dspace/handle/123456789/37277. Accessed February 25, 2017.
- Jabri, Vivienne. 1996. Discourses on Violence: Conflict Analysis Reconsidered. Manchester: Manchester University Press.Google Scholar
- Juergensmeyer, Mark. 2002. Gandhi’s Way: A Handbook of Conflict Resolution. 1st ed. Berkeley: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Kriesberg, Louis. 2007. Constructive Conflicts: From Escalation to Resolution. 3rd ed. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.Google Scholar
- Levinas, E. 1987. Philosophy and the Idea of Infinity. In Collected Philosophical Papers of Emmanuel Levinas. Trans. Alphonso Lingis, 47–59. Dordrecht: Martinus Nijhoff Publishers.Google Scholar
- ———. 1998. God and Philosophy. The Levinas Reader 167: 30–31.Google Scholar
- Margalit, Ruth. 2012. Israel Loves Iran (On Facebook). The New Yorker, March 23. http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/israel-loves-iran-on-facebook. Accessed February 25, 2017.
- OSCE Mission to Bosnia and Herzegovina. 2017. Education|OSCE Mission to Bosnia and Herzegovina. http://www.osce.org/bih/106652. Accessed February 25, 2017.
- OSCE Mission to Serbia. 2017. Education|OSCE Mission to Serbia. http://www.osce.org/serbia/106701. Accessed February 25, 2017.
- Polat, Filiz. 2011. Inclusion in Education: A Step towards Social Justice. International Journal of Educational Development 31 (1): 50–58. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S073805931000091X. Accessed February 25, 2017.
- Price-Mitchell, Marilyn. 2009. Boundary Dynamics: Implications for Building Parent-School Partnerships. The School Community Journal 19 (2): 9–26. http://www.adi.org/journal/resources/SCJFall2009.pdf#page=9. Accessed February 25, 2017.
- Richmond, Oliver. 2012. A Post-Liberal Peace. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Ropers, Norbert. 2008. Systemic Conflict Transformation: Reflections on the Conflict and Peace Process in Sri Lanka. In A Systemic Approach to Conflict Transformation: Exploring Strengths and Limitations, 11–41. Berlin: Berghof Research Center for Constructive Conflict Management.Google Scholar
- Sandole, Dennis J.D. 2011. Peacebuilding: Preventing Violence in a Complex World. Cambridge and Malden: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- ———. 2013. Capturing the Complexity of Conflict: Dealing with Violent Ethnic Conflicts of the Post-Cold War Era. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar