Could Class Management Be a Management Issue?
The background of this chapter is that after investigating classroom management for many years, I was asked by managers at different colleges to speak to staff about strategies for counteracting the problems tutors faced in many classes on a daily basis. A question that emerged was how might managers in the Education and Training sector support lecturers in coping with stressful situations. My research methods aimed to determine managers’ views, using a survey to find out a sample of perspectives. This led to focus groups with managers opening up exploratory discussions, followed by an interview with an experienced manager working with challenging classes. The purpose of this interview was to review model strategies that might be used to help managers support staff and students create more effective learning environments in the future. The next stage was to subject managers’ suggestions to the views of teachers. What did tutors think of managers’ suggestions?
- British Educational Research Association. (2011). Ethical guidelines for educational research. London: BERA.Google Scholar
- Coffield, F. (2009). All you ever wanted to know about learning and teaching, but were too cool to ask. London: Learning and Skills Network.Google Scholar
- Cohen, L., Manion, L., & Morrison, K. (2011). Research methods in education. London/New York: RoutledgeFalmer.Google Scholar
- Curzon, L., & Tummons, J. (2013). Teaching in further education: An outline of principles and practice (7th ed.). London: Bloomsbury.Google Scholar
- Derrick, J. (2011). The messiness of real teaching and learning. In J. Derrick, U. Howard, J. Field, P. Lavender, S. Meyer, E. von Rein, & T. Schuller (Eds.), Remaking adult learning: Essays in honour of Alan Tuckett. London: Institute of Education.Google Scholar
- Gold, J., Thorpe, R., & Mumford. (2010). Leadership and management development (5th ed.). London: Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development.Google Scholar
- Parry, D., & Taubman, D. (2013). UCU whole college behaviour management: Final report. https://www.ucu.org.uk/media/5693/UCU-whole-college-behaviour-policy-project-report/pdf/UCU_Whole_College_Behaviour_Management_Final_Report_June_2013.pdf
- Petty, G. (2014). Teaching today: A practical guide (5th ed.). London: Oxford.Google Scholar
- Rogers, B. (2015). Classroom behaviour (2nd ed.). London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Wallace, S. (2017). Behaviour management: Getting it right in a week. St. Albans: Critical Publishing.Google Scholar