What Do Experienced Tutors Advise?
Up to now this book has contrasted a range of theories with practice, but also different approaches within classroom settings. In this chapter I interview experienced teachers, asking them about the interventions they made when faced with difficult behaviours during their careers. What were some of the worst situations they faced and what strategies did they use in order to overcome these difficulties? This small-scale qualitative research inquiry investigates a sample of experienced teachers dealing with disruptive students in their classes. I wanted to listen to what they said about their experiences interfacing with negative student behaviour. I firstly discuss a research instrument for collecting data on experiences and classroom strategies.
- Beere, J. (2012). The perfect Ofsted lesson. Carmarthen: Crown House Publishing.Google Scholar
- Cohen, L., Manion, L., & Morrison, K. (2011). Research methods in education. London/New York: Routledge and Falmer.Google Scholar
- Cowley, S. (2014). Getting the buggers to behave (5th ed.). London: Bloomsbury Education.Google Scholar
- Dreikurs, R., Cassel, P., & Dreikurs, E. (2005). Discipline without tears: How to reduce conflict and establish co-operation in the classroom. Hoboken: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Flick, U. (2006). An introduction to qualitative research. Thousand Oaks: Sage.Google Scholar
- Parry, D., & Taubman, D. (2013). UCU whole college behaviour management: Final report. https://www.ucu.org.uk/media/5693/UCU-whole-college-behaviour-policy-project-report/pdf/UCU_Whole_College_Behaviour_Management_Final_Report_June_2013.pdf
- Paton, G. (2012). Bad behaviour in schools ‘fuelled by over-indulgent parents’. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/9173533/Bad-behaviour-in-schools-fuelled-by-over-indulgent-parents.html
- Rogers, C. (1961). On becoming a person: A therapist’s view of psychotherapy. London: Constable.Google Scholar
- Vizard, D. (2012). How to manage behaviour in further education. London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Wallace, S. (2017). Behaviour management: Getting it right in a week. St. Albans: Critical Publishing.Google Scholar