Traditional acupuncture has been used for millennia in China and has been widely adopted in the West only in the second half of the twentieth century. However, in the nineteenth century, Sir William Osler  in his highly acclaimed textbook wrote in the section on treatment of neuralgia (pp. 962–963) “acupuncture may be used” (Table 29.1).
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Osler W. The principles and practice of medicine. New York: D. Appleton & Co.; 1892.Google Scholar
- 2.Ching N. The fundamentals of acupuncture. London: J Kingsley; 2017.Google Scholar
- 10.Stone P. Therapeutic reflexology: a step-by-step guide to professional competence. New York: Pearson; 2010.Google Scholar
- 13.Nayak S, Shiflett SC, Schoenberger NE, Agostinelli S, Kirshblum S, Averill A, Cotter AC. Is acupuncture effective in treating chronic pain after spinal cord injury? Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2001a;82:1578–86.Google Scholar
- 16.Rapson LM, Wells N, Pepper J, Majid N, Boon H. Acupuncture as a promising treatment for below-level central neuropathic pain: a retrospective study. J Spinal Cord Med. 2003;26:21–6.Google Scholar
- 19.Cardenas DD, Jensen MP. Treatments for chronic pain in persons with spinal cord injury: a survey study. J Spinal Cord Med. 2006;29:109–17. (Updates: Warms CA, Turner JA, Marshall HM, Cardenas DD. Treatments for chronic pain associated with spinal cord injuries: many are tried, few are helpful. Clin J Pain 2002; 18, 154–163).CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 22.Liu CW, Chen CH, Huang YF, Huang MH. Auricular acupressure as a treatment for neuropathic pain in patients with spinal cord injury. Eur J Pain. 2010;(Suppl 4): 132 (A467).Google Scholar
- 24.Zhang X, Fan XN, Ding L, Zhang HT, Wu LZ, Wang HR. [Acupuncture treatment of regulating spirit, activating blood and relieving pain for thalamic pain]. Zhongguo Zhen Jiu (Chinese Acupuncture). 2010; 30: 367–70.Google Scholar
- 25.Fan XN, Zhang X, Wu LZ. [Dynamic observation on therapeutic features of thalamic pain by mind calming, blood activating and pain relief acupuncture and carbamazepine]. Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi. 2011;31:741–4.Google Scholar
- 31.Li S. Breathing-controlled Electrical Stimulation (BreEStim) for management of neuropathic pain and spasticity. J Vis Exp. 2013;71:e50077.Google Scholar
- 32.Wang Y, Li Y. [Acupuncture for 58 cases of central pain after spinal cord injury]. Zhongguo Zhen Jiu. 2014;34:88.Google Scholar
- 33.Estores I, Chen K, Jackson B, Lao L, Gorman PH. Auricular acupuncture for spinal cord injury related neuropathic pain: a pilot controlled clinical trial. J Spinal Cord Med. 2016;15:1–7.Google Scholar