- 645 Downloads
War understood as two armies fighting against each other has become an obsolete concept. During the last few decades we have been observing conflicts of a different nature, not only because the actors involved are no longer legitimized by states, but also because of the unconventional strategies utilized in particular on the side of the non-state actor. Since 1975, the Uppsala Conflict Data Program (UCDP) has been recording data from global armed conflicts confirming the increasing trend of non-state conflicts.
KeywordsMilitary Operation Military Expenditure Marine Corps Irregular Warfare Military Budget
- Alexander, J. H. (2012). Close air support: The pioneering years. http://www.usni.org/magazines/navalhistory/2012-11/close-air-support-pioneering-years. Last accessed 10 Oct 2015.
- Archick, K., Belkin, P., Blanchard, C. M., Humud, C. E., & Mix, D. E. (2015). European fighters in Syria and Iraq: Assessments, responses, and issues for the United States. Retrieved from Congressional Research Service: https://fas.org/sgp/crs/row/R44003.pdf. Last accessed 18 Oct 2015.
- BBC news (2012). Syria conflict: Damascus suburb sees heavy fighting. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-19645269. Last accessed 18 Oct 2015.
- Belasco, A. (2015). Defense spending and the budget control act limits. Retrieved from Congressional Research Service: https://fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/R44039.pdf. Last accessed 18 Oct 2015.
- Butler, C., & Gates, S. (2010). The technology of terror: Accounting for the strategic use of terrorism. Economics of Security, Working Paper 30, pp. 10–24.Google Scholar
- von Clausewitz, C. (1976). On war. Princeton: Princeton University Press. Transls. M. Howard, P. Paret.Google Scholar
- Department of Defense (2007). Irregular warfare (iw) joint operating concept (joc), version 1.0. http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/concepts/joint_concepts/joc_iw_v1.pdf. Last accessed 16 Oct 2015.
- Department of Peace and Conflict Research (2015). Website: Definitions. http://www.pcr.uu.se/research/ucdp/definitions/. Last accessed 18 Oct 2015.
- European Defence Agency (2013). Defence data of eda in 2013. https://www.eda.europa.eu/info-hub/defence-data-portal/EDA/year/2013. Last accessed 18 Oct 2015.
- European Defence Agency (2015). Defence data 2013. https://www.eda.europa.eu/info-hub/press-centre/latest-news/2015/03/31/latest-defence-data-published. Last accessed 18 Oct 2015.
- Harmon, C. C. (2010). How terrorist groups end. Strategic Studies Quarterly, 4(3), 43–84.Google Scholar
- Hoffman, F. G. (2007). Conflict in the 21st century: The rise of hybrid wars. Arlington: Potomac Institute for Policy Studies.Google Scholar
- Hurley, W., Bucher, C. R., Numrich, S., Ouellette, S. M., & Resnick, J. B. (2009). Non-kinetic capabilities for irregular warfare: Four case studies, P-4436. Institute for Defense Analysis. IDA Paper P-4436.Google Scholar
- Hurley, W. J., Resnick, J. B., & Wahlman, A. (2007). Improving capabilities for irregular warfare. Framework and applications (Vol. I). Joint Advanced Warfighting Program. IDA Paper P-4267. Institute for Defense Analysis.Google Scholar
- Institute for Security Studies (2014). Euiss yearbook of European security 2014. http://www.iss.europa.eu/uploads/media/YES2014.pdf. Last accessed 18 Oct 2014.
- Joint Chiefs of Staff (2013). Joint publication 3-24. Counterinsurgency. http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/new_pubs/jp3_24.pdf. Last accessed 18 Oct 2015.
- Joint Chiefs of Staff (2015). Joint publication 1-02. Department of defense. Dictionary of military and associated term. http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/new_pubs/jp1_02.pdf. Last accessed 18 Oct 2015.
- Kaldor, M. (2007). New and old wars: Organized Violence in a Global Era. Stanford: Stanford University Press.Google Scholar
- Katzenbach, E. L., J. (1962). Time, space and will: The politico-military views of Mao-tse-tung. In T. Greene (Ed.), The guerrilla and how to fight him (Selections from the marine corps gazette) (pp. 11–21). New York: Frederick A. Praeger.Google Scholar
- Kiras, J. D. (2007). Irregular warfare: Terrorism and insurgency. In J. Baylis, J. Wirtz, C. S. Gray, & E. Cohen (Eds.), Strategy in the contemporary world (pp. 163–191). Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Krulak, C. (2000). Nes cras: Not like yesterday. In R. H. Shultz, & R. L. Pfaltzgraff (Eds.), The role of naval forces in the 21st century operations (pp. xi–xvii). Washington, D.C.: Brassesy’s.Google Scholar
- Larson, E. V., Eaton, D., Nichiporuk, B., T. S. Szayna, & R. Corporation (2008). Assessing irregular warfare. a framework for intelligence analysis. http://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/monographs/2008/RAND_MG668.pdf. Last accessed 18 Oct 2015.
- MacGregor, D. (2009). Warrior’s rage: The great tank battle of 73 easting. Annapolis: Naval Institute Press.Google Scholar
- Munkler, H. (2005). The new wars. Malden: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- Rosen, S. (1972). War power and the willigness to suffer. In B. M. Russet (Ed.), Peace, war, and numbers (pp. 167–183). Beverly Hills: Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- Shulimson, J., Blasiol, L. A., Smith, C. R., & Dawson, D. A. (1997). U.S. marines in Vietnam: The defining year, 1968. Washington, D.C.: History and Museums Division, Headquarters, U.S. Marine Corps.Google Scholar
- Smith, R. (2007). The utility of force: The art of war in the modern age. New York: Alfred Knopf.Google Scholar
- The New York Times (2002). A nation challenged: The economics; attacks may cost U.S. 1.8 million jobs. http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/13/us/a-nation-challenged-the-economics-attacks-may-cost-us-1.8-million-jobs.html. Last accessed 18 Oct 2015.
- Tse-Tung, M. (1937). On guerrilla warfare. New York: Praeger Publishers Inc. Transl. Samuel B. Griffith.Google Scholar