Chief Executive Officers
A number of characteristics make the role of a CEO distinctly different from other leadership and management roles. Being a CEO means bearing full responsibility for an organization’s success or failure, but being unable to control most of what will determine it; having more authority than anyone else in the organization, but being unable to wield it without unhappy consequences. CEOs’ mindsets and strategic beliefs are likely to be instantiated to a significant degree in their firms’ current strategies.
KeywordsResponsibility Accountability Charisma Compensation Power Influence
- Barstad, S. (2016, August 22). Thorleif Enger klar for nytt rettsmaraton [Thorleif Enger ready for new court marathon], daily Norwegian newspaper Aftenposten, p. 12.Google Scholar
- Berglund, N. (2015, July 7). Ex-Yara bosses sentenced to jail. NewsinEnglish.no. http://www.newsinenglish.no/2015/07/07/ex-yara-bosses-sentenced-to-jail/.
- Cohen-Kdoshay, O., & Meiran, N. (2007). The representation of instructions in working memory leads to autonomous response activation: Evidence from the first trials in the flanker paradigm. The Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology, 60, 1140–1154.Google Scholar
- Conger, J. A., & Nadler, D. A. (2004, Spring). When CEOs step up to fail. MIT Sloan Management Review, 50–94.Google Scholar
- Eberly, M. B., Holley, E. C., Johnson, M. D., & Mitchell, T. R. (2011). Beyond internal and external: A dyadic theory of relational attributions. Academy of Management Review, 36(4), 731–753.Google Scholar
- Ekeberg, E. (2016, July 26). Nordea fant lovbrudd [Nordea found law violations], daily Norwegian newspaper Klassekampen, pp. 12–13.Google Scholar
- Glasø, L., Einarsen, S., Matthiesen, S. B., & Skogstad, A. (2010). The dark side of leaders: A representative study of interpersonal problems among leaders. Scandinavian Journal of Organizational Psychology, 2(2), 3–14.Google Scholar
- Hall, J. A., & Liedtka, S. L. (2005). Financial performance CEO compensation, and large-scale information technology outsourcing decisions. Journal of Management Information Systems, 22(1), 193–221.Google Scholar
- Hoel, H., Glasø, L., Hetland, J., Cooper, C. L., & Einarsen, S. (2010). Leadership styles as predictors of self-reported and observed workplace bullying. British Journal of Management, 21, 453–468.Google Scholar
- Hovland, K. M., & Gauthier-Villars, D. (2015, November 5). VimpelCom bribery investigations spark Telenor review. The Wall Street Journal. www.wsj.com.
- Johnson, L. K. (2002, Winter). Do CEOs matter? MIT Sloan Management Review, 8–9.Google Scholar
- Khurana, R. (2001, Fall). Finding the right CEO: Why boards often make poor choices. MIT Sloan Management Review, 41‚ 91–95.Google Scholar
- Montella, E. C. (2016). Full circle: A memoir of leaning in too far and the journey back. Sanibel, FL: Triple M Press.Google Scholar
- Porter, M. E., Lorsch, J. W. & Nohria, N. (2004, October). Seven surprises for new CEOs. Harvard Business Review, 82‚ 62–72.Google Scholar
- Shen, W. (2003). The dynamics of the CEO-board relationship: An evolutionary perspective. Academy of Management Review, 28(3), 466–476.Google Scholar
- Sutherland, E. H. (1949). White collar crime. New York: Holt Rinehart and Winston.Google Scholar
- Tingstad, T. (2015, July 7). A day of happiness? Retrieved from https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/day-happiness-tormod-tingstad?articleId=6024277198138077184#comments-6024277198138077184&trk=prof-post.
- Tingstad, T. (2016, September 17). Styrene mangler mot, ikke kunnskap [Boards lack courage, not knowledge], daily Norwegian business newspaper Dagens Næringsliv, p. 28.Google Scholar
- Valukas, A. R. (2010, March 11). In regard Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. to United States Bankruptcy Court in Southern District of New York, Jenner & Block, 239 pp. Retrieved January 12, 2015, from http://www.nysb.uscourts.gov/sites/default/files/opinions/188162_61_opinion.pdf.
- Waldman, D. A., & Yammarino, F. J. (1999). CEO charismatic leadership: Levels-of-management and levels-of-analysis effects. Academy of Management Review, 24(2), 266–285.Google Scholar