Strategic Planning of Regional Ecological Development: Adaptation of Elinor Ostrom’s Principles in Russia
Subject/topic. The subject of the analysis is accumulated experience, principles, and contradictions of strategic planning of ecological development of Russia’s regions by the example of the Southern Federal District.
Goals/tasks. The purpose of the article is to substantiate the principles of E. Ostrom as a conceptual foundation for strategic planning of territories’ development; to determine the level of detail and complexity of ecological component of long-term strategies of socio-economic development of regions of the Southern Federal District; to identify typical problems and to develop recommendations for public authorities.
Methodology. The authors conduct comparative analysis of ecological component of regional strategies of socio-economic development, and substantiates—from the positions of systemic approach—the direction for increase of their complexity in the aspect of planning of ecological development.
Results. As a result of the research, it was found that ecological development is among the priorities of the federal policy and ideology, which does not find adequate systemic reflection in strategies of socio-economic development at district and regional levels. The article determines components of ecological component of strategies of socio-economic development of the SFD, finds unconformities of correlation of ecological policy of the SFD and its specific regions, finds and groups standard problems in the sphere of strategic planning of ecological development by the example of the regions of Southern Russia, and develops offers as to correction of typical structure of ecological block of strategies for development of the subjects of the RF for the purpose of increase of its detail and consistency.
Discussion/application. Results of the research could be used by the public authorities of federal districts and subjects of the RF during development or modernization of ecological blocks of strategies of socio-economic development and formation of specialized strategies of ecological development.
Conclusions/Significance. The authors make conclusion on lack of coordination of ecological policy of the SFD and its regions and fragmentarity of strategic planning of ecological development and offer recommendations for modernization of ecological block of regional strategies.
KeywordsEcological policy Strategic planning Socio-economic development Regions of Southern Russia Indicators of ecological development
This work was supported by the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences of the Russian Foundation for Basic Research (the Russian Foundation for Humanities) and Administration of Volgograd Oblast (Project No. 17-12-34009 “Institutions and industries of transactional development of regional economy: formation of analytical methodology and policy of regulation”).
- Ostrom E (2007) Sustainable social-ecological systems: an impossibility? doi: 10.2139/ssrn.997834
- Ostrom E (2010) Governing the commons. The evolution of institutions for collective action. IRISEN, Mysl, Moscow, p 447Google Scholar
- Polterovich VM (2011) Regional institutes of modernization. Econ Sci Mod Russia 4:17–29Google Scholar
- Sukharev ОS (2012) Institutes of regional development: conceptual and practical analysis of organizational changes. Econ Anal Theory Pract 4:2–12Google Scholar
- Tatarkin АI, Kotlyarova SN (2013) Regional institutes of development as factors of economic growth. Econ Reg 3:9–18Google Scholar
- Zakharov VM (ed) (2009) Priorities of national ecological policy of Russia. Levko Typography. Institute of Sustainable Development/Center for ecological policy of Russia, Moscow, p 152Google Scholar