The most significant impact of PET/CT in lung cancer radiotherapy planning is through the well-established improvement in primary tumour staging compared with conventional CT alone. FDG (18F-fluoro-deoxy-glucose) PET/CT has been shown to identify distant metastases in up to 30% of cases compared with conventional CT staging [1, 2]. Identification of tumour outside a potential radiotherapy field precludes radical treatment with curative intent which significantly changes patient management. It may also identify occult lesions in critical anatomical sites such as the spine and weight bearing bones which require local treatment.
KeywordsMediastinal Lymph Node Stereotactic Radiotherapy Radiation Pneumonitis Radiotherapy Planning Dose Escalation Strategy
- 1.Abramyuk A, Appold S, Zöphel K, Hietschold V, Baumann M, Abolmaali N. Quantitative modifications of TNM staging, clinical staging and therapeutic intent by FDG-PET/CT in patients with non-small cell lung cancer scheduled for radiotherapy—a retrospective study. Lung Cancer. 2012;78(2):148–52.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 3.Ulger S, Demirci NY, Eroglu FN, Cengiz HH, Tunc M, Tatci E, Yilmaz U, Cetin E, Avci E, Cengiz M. High FDG uptake predicts poorer survival in locally advanced nonsmall cell lung cancer patients undergoing curative radiotherapy, independently of tumor size. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2014;140(3):495–502.Google Scholar
- 4.Lin MY, Wu M, Brennan S, Campeau MP, Binns DS, MacManus M, Solomon B, Hicks RJ, Fisher RJ, Ball DL. Absence of a relationship between tumor 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose standardized uptake value and survival in patients treated with definitive radiotherapy for non-small-cell lung cancer. J Thorac Oncol. 2014;9(3):377–82.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 6.Darling GE, Maziak DE, Inculet RI, Gulenchyn KY, Driedger AA, Ung YC, Gu CS, Kuruvilla MS, Cline KJ, Julian JA, Evans WK, Levine MN. Positron emission tomography-computed tomography compared with invasive mediastinal staging in non-small cell lung cancer: results of mediastinal staging in the early lung positron emission tomography trial. J Thorac Oncol. 2011;6(8):1367–72.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Cherk MH, Foo SS, Poon AM, Knight SR, Murone C, Papenfuss AT, Sachinidis JI, Saunder TH, O'Keefe GJ, Scott AM. Lack of correlation of hypoxic cell fraction and angiogenesis with glucose metabolic rate in non-small cell lung cancer assessed by 18F-Fluoromisonidazole and 18F-FDG PET. J Nucl Med. 2006;47(12):1921–6.PubMedGoogle Scholar