Eleanor, Lady Godfrey
- 85 Downloads
This chapter outlines the life and contribution to education of Eleanor, Lady Godfrey (1772–1852). Born in Ulster to a wealthy merchant family, Eleanor Cromie was a member of the Anglican community. She married John Godfrey in 1796. Eleanor’s dowry of £2,000 (later £3,000) was not enough to improve the fortunes of her husband’s family. Paucity of funds would hamper the couple all their lives. Eleanor, John and their large family lived mainly in Kilcoleman Abbey, Milltown, Co. Kerry. Together and separately, the couple provided employment and social supports for the people of Milltown and surrounding areas. With the support of the Kildare Place Society, Eleanor maintained a school there, mainly for coreligionists. Eleanor’s school eventually joined the national school system. It then transferred to nearby Castlemaine where it continues to serve members of the Church of Ireland.