CVT-Based 3D Image Segmentation for Quality Tetrahedral Meshing
Given an input 3D image, in this paper we first segment it into several clusters by extending the 2D harmonic edge-weighted centroidal Voronoi tessellation (HEWCVT) method to the 3D image domain. The Dual Contouring method is then applied to construct tetrahedral meshes by analyzing both material change edges and interior edges. An anisotropic Giaquinta-Hildebrandt operator (GHO) based geometric flow method is developed to smooth the surface with both volume and surface features preserved. Optimization based smoothing and topological optimizations are also applied to improve the quality of tetrahedral meshes. We have verified our algorithms by applying them to several datasets.
KeywordsCentroidal voronoi tessellation Image segmentation Tetrahedral mesh Quality improvement Giaquinta-Hildebrandt operator
The authors would like to thank Tao Liao for useful discussions on quality improvement techniques for tetrahedral mesh. The work of K. Hu and Y. Zhang was supported in part by NSF CAREER Award OCI-1149591. G. Xu was was supported in part by NSFC Fund for Creative Research Groups of China under the grant 11321061.
- 2.Canann, S.A., Tristano, J.R., Staten, M.L.: An approach to combined Laplacian and optimization-based smoothing for triangular, quadrilateral, and quad-dominant meshes. In: 7th International Meshing Roundtable, pp. 479–494 (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Cocosco, C.A., Kollokian, V., Kwan, R.K.S., Pike, G.B., Evans, A.C.: BrainWeb: online interface to a 3D MRI simulated brain database. NeuroImage 5(4), S425 (1997)Google Scholar
- 8.Freitag, L.A.: On combining Laplacian and optimization-based mesh smoothing techniques. AMD-Vol. 220 Trends in Unstructured Mesh Generation, pp. 37–44 (1997)Google Scholar
- 9.Hu, K., Zhang, Y.: Image segmentation and adaptive superpixel generation based on harmonic edge-weighted centroidal Voronoi tessellation. Comput. Methods Biomech. Biomed. Eng.: Imaging Vis. 4(2), 46–60 (2016). The Special Issue of CompIMAGE’14Google Scholar
- 11.Liao, T., Li, X., Xu, G., Zhang, Y.: Secondary Laplace operator and generalized Giaquinta-Hildebrandt operator with applications on surface segmentation and smoothing. Comput. Aided Des. 70, 56–66 (2016). A Special Issue of SIAM Conference on Geometric & Physical Modeling 2015MathSciNetCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Ren, X., Malik, J.: Learning a classification model for segmentation. In: Ninth IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision, pp. 10–17 (2003)Google Scholar