A Study of Combining Re-coloring and Adding Patterns to Images for Dichromats
Color is one of the most important modality to convey information. However, around the world about 200 million people are with color vision deficiency (CVD). Some works have been developed to improve viewing experience for people with CVD, such as simulating colorblind vision, re-coloring images, and using patterns to encode images. In this work, we advocate that combining re-coloring and adding patterns to image might be more helpful to colorblind people and is worth deep research. We propose a framework to combine patterns and re-coloring. We first simulate colorblind vision, determine how to add patterns according to the degree of deformation, and then re-color images overlaid with patterns. In the evaluation, we verify effectiveness of combining adding patterns and re-coloring, and demonstrate content-dependent characteristics through the studies based on different types of images and different types of patterns.
KeywordsWave Pattern Line Pattern Original Color Poster Image Color Vision Deficiency
The work was partially supported by the Ministry of Science and Technology in Taiwan under the grant MOST103-2221-E-194-027-MY3, MOST104-2221-E-194-014, and MOST105-2628-E-194-001-MY2.
- 3.Yang, S., Ro, Y.: Visual contents adaptation for color vision deficiency. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, pp. 453–456 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Ribeiro, M., Gomes., A.: A skillet-based recoloring algorithm for dichromats. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on e-Health Networking, Applications and Services, pp. 702–706 (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Liu, B., Wang, M., Yang, L., Wu, X., Hua, X.: Efficient image and video recoloring for colorblindness. In: Proceedings of IEEE international Conference on Multimedia and Expo, pp. 906–909 (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Huang, J., Chen, C., Wang, S.J., Jen, T.C.: Image recolorization for the colorblind. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, pp. 1161–1164 (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Rasche, K., Geist, R., Westall, J.: Re-coloring images for gamuts of lower dimension. ACM Trans. Graph. 25, 423–432 (2005)Google Scholar