A Capstone Experience in Information Technology
- 370 Downloads
Innovations for Industry (I4I) at Juniata College is a culminating experience for third and fourth year Information Technology (IT) bachelor degree students consisting of four courses totaling 12 credit hours. The course sequence provides students with project management techniques, and opportunities for significant group work on developing and implementing technology solutions in industries. This chapter discusses the origins of this capstone experience, how it was developed, how it is evolving, and the department’s assessment of its outcomes for the students and Information Technology program. Juniata’s I4I sequence, with a focus on the culminating experience for seniors, was presented at the 2010 Capstone Design Conference (Thomas and Kruse in A capstone course sequence in information technology. Proceedings of the capstone design conference 2010, 2010). This chapter is a continuation of that work.
KeywordsInformation technology Education Computing education Project management Capstone experience Interdisciplinary
- Costa, A. L., & Kallick, B. (2008). Learning and leading with habits of mind: 16 essential characteristics for success. Alexandria, Virginia: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.Google Scholar
- Schwalbe, K. (2010). An introduction to project management (3rd ed.). Minneapolis, MN: Kathy Schwalbe LLC. ISBN 10: 1451551649, ISBN 13: 978-1451551648.Google Scholar
- Straya, V., Sjøberga, D. I. K., & Dybåa, T. (2016, April). The daily stand-up meeting: A grounded theory study. Journal of Systems and Software, 114 (2016), 101–124. doi: 10.1016/j.jss.2016.01.004.
- Thomas, W., & Kruse, G. (2010). A capstone course sequence in information technology. Proceedings of the Capstone Design Conference 2010. http://www.capstoneconf.org/resources/2010Proceedings/Papers/Kruse_Thomas.pdf
- Weiss, J. W., & Wysocki, R. K. (1992). Five-phase project management: A practical planning & implementation guide. New York, NY: Basic Books. ISBN 10: 0201563169, ISBN 13: 978-0201563160.Google Scholar