Internally Positive Representations and Stability Analysis of Linear Delay Systems with Multiple Time-Varying Delays
This chapter introduces the Internally Positive Representation of linear systems with multiple time-varying state delays. The technique, previously introduced for the undelayed case, aims at building a positive representation of systems whose dynamics is, in general, indefinite in sign. As a consequence, stability criteria for positive time-delay systems can be exploited to analyze the stability of the original system. As a result, an easy-to-check sufficient condition for the delay-independent stability is provided, that is compared with some well known conditions available in the literature.
KeywordsPositive delay systems Time-varying delays Internally positive representation (IPR) Stability analysis
We would like to thank Alfredo Germani and Filippo Cacace for their encouragement and helpful suggestions in doing this work.
- 1.Ait Rami, M.: Positive Systems: Proceedings of the third Multidisciplinary International Symposium on Positive Systems: Theory and Applications (POSTA 2009) Valencia, Spain, September 2-4, 2009, pp. 205–215. Springer, Berlin (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Farina, L., Rinaldi, S.: Positive Linear Systems: Theory and Applications, vol. 50. Wiley (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Fridman, E.: Introduction to Time-Delay Systems. Birkhuser Basel (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Germani, A., Manes, C., Palumbo, P.: State space representation of a class of MIMO systems via positive systems. In: 2007 46th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, pp. 476–481. IEEE (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Gu, K., Kharitonov, V.L., Chen, J.: Stability of Time-Delay Systems. Birkhuser Basel (2003)Google Scholar
- 15.Kaczorek, T.: Stability of positive continuous-time linear systems with delays. In: 2009 European Control Conference (ECC), pp. 1610–1613. IEEE (2009)Google Scholar
- 18.Luenberger, D.: Introduction to Dynamic Systems: Theory, Models, and Applications. Wiley (1979)Google Scholar
- 20.Michiels, W., Niculescu, S.I.: Stability, Control, and Computation for Time-Delay Systems: An Eigenvalue-Based Approach, vol. 27. Siam (2014)Google Scholar
- 24.Schoen, G.M.: Stability and stabilization of time-delay systems. Ph.D. thesis, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich, Switzerland (1995). http://e-collection.library.ethz.ch
- 25.Schoen, G.M., Geering, H.P.: On stability of time delay systems. In: Proceedings of the 31st Annual Allerton Conference on Communications Control and Computing, pp. 1058–1060. Monticello, Il (1993)Google Scholar
- 26.Wang, S.S., Lee, C.H., Hung, T.H.: New stability anlysis of system with multiple time delays. In: American Control Conference (ACC 1991), pp. 1703–1704 (1991)Google Scholar