Positive Stabilization of a Diffusion System by Nonnegative Boundary Control
This chapter deals with the issue of considering nonnegative inputs in the positive stabilization problem. It is shown in two different ways why one cannot expect to positively stabilize a positive system by use of a nonnegative input, first by a classical approach with a formal proof, then by working on an extended system for which the new input corresponds to the time derivative of the nominal one, thus circumventing the sign restriction. However, it is shown via a classical example of positive system—the pure diffusion system—that positively stabilizing a positive system with a nonnegative input is in some way possible: using a boundary control, the input sign depends on whether the boundary control appears in the boundary conditions or in the dynamics. The chapter then provides a parameterization of all positively stabilizing feedbacks for a discretized model of the pure diffusion system, some numerical simulations and a convergence discussion which allows to extend the results to the infinite-dimensional case, where the system is described again by a parabolic partial differential equation and the input acts either in the dynamics or in the boundary conditions.
KeywordsPositive systems Nonnegative input Diffusion equation Positive stabilization Feedback parameterization Partial differential equations
This chapter presents research results of the Belgian network DYSCO (Dynamical Systems, Control and Optimization), funded by the Interuniversity Attraction Poles Programme, initiated by the Belgian state, Science Policy Office (BELSPO). The scientific responsibility rests with its authors.
- 1.Abouzaid, B., Winkin, J.J., Wertz, V.: Positive stabilization of infinite-dimensional linear systems. In: Proceedings of the 49th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, pp. 845–850 (2010)Google Scholar
- 2.Arrow, K.J.: A “dynamic” proof of the Frobenius-Perron theorem for Metzler matrices. Techn. Rep. Ser. 542 (1989)Google Scholar
- 3.Boyd, S., El Ghaoui, L., Feron, E., Balakrishnan, V.: Linear Matrix Inequalities in System and Control Theory. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (1994)Google Scholar
- 5.Curtain, R.F., Zwart, H.J.: An Introduction to Infinite-Dimensional Linear Systems Theory. Springer (1995)Google Scholar
- 7.Dehaye, J.N., Winkin, J.J.: Parameterization of positively stabilizing feedbacks for single-input positive systems. Syst. Control Lett. 98, 57–64 (2016)Google Scholar
- 10.Farina, L., Rinaldi, S.: Positive Linear Systems: Theory and Applications. Wiley (2000)Google Scholar
- 11.Haddad, W.M., Chellaboina, V., Hui, Q.: Nonnegative and Compartmental Dynamical Systems. Princeton University Press (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Horn, R.A., Johnson, C.R.: Matrix Analysis, vol. 1. Cambridge University Press (1990)Google Scholar
- 18.Smith, H.L.: Monotone Dynamical Systems: An Introduction to the Theory of Competitive and Cooperative Systems. American Mathematical Society (2008)Google Scholar