Fast Fractal Image Encoding Algorithm Based on Coefficient of Variation Feature
In order to improve the drawback of fractal image encoding with full search typically requires a very long runtime. This paper thus proposed an effective algorithm to replace algorithm with full search, which is mainly based on newly-defined coefficient of variation feature of image block. During the search process, the coefficient of variation feature is utilized to confine efficiently the search space to the vicinity of the domain block having the closest coefficient of variation feature to the input range block being encoded, aiming at reducing the searching scope of similarity matching to accelerate the encoding process. Simulation results of three standard test images show that the proposed scheme averagely obtain the speedup of 4.67 times or so by reducing the searching scope of best-matched block, while can obtain the little lower quality of the decoded images against the full search algorithm. Moreover, it is better than the moment of inertia algorithm.
KeywordsImage compression Fractal Fractal image coding Coefficient of variation feature
- 2.Fisher, Y. (ed.): Fractal Image Compression: Theory and Application. Springer, New York (1995)Google Scholar
- 3.Saupe, D.: Accelerating fractal image compression by multi-dimensional nearest neighbour search. In: Proceedings of Data Compression Conference, vol. 3, pp. 222–231 (1995)Google Scholar
- 8.He, C.-J., Shen, X.-N.: Improving cross trace based algorithm for fractal image coding. Chin. J. Comput. 30(12), 2156–2163 (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Li, G.-P., Xiang, H.-F., Zhao, Z.-W.: Fast fractal image encoding algorithm based on quartiles feature. Comput. Eng. Appl. 47(22), 145–148 (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Sun, H.-S., Liu, X.-D., Dang, J.-T., Wu, S.-H.: Fast fractal image encoding based on moment of inertia. Microelectron. Comput. 26(5), 92–95 (2009)Google Scholar