From Global Strategy to Strategic Co-creation
Chapter 3 presents the concepts of co-creation and shared strategy-making in order to optimize local knowledge and ensure successful strategies for international markets. A shared vision and strategic planning can influence local engagement and international market results. There is a growing movement from centralized to decentralized decision-making in order to focus on the practices of co-creation and strategy-making. Due to the need for increased local market knowledge and collaboration, organizations can benefit from the practice of strategic co-creation. This requires leadership that can ensure recognition and responsiveness to new ideas and knowledge shared by local teams. Cases include Nokia and Philips where readers can learn about the challenges and the opportunities for strategic co-creation.
- Apple info page, Apple: http://www.apple.com/about/. Accessed on January 10, 2017.
- Apple Reports Fourth Quarter Results, Apple: http://www.apple.com/newsroom/2016/10/apple-reports-fourth-quarter-results.html. Accessed on January 10, 2017.
- Bartlett, C.A. and Ghoshal, S. Managing Across Borders: The Transnational Solution. 2nd ed. Boston: Harvard Business School Press, 1986, 2002.Google Scholar
- Birkinshaw, J. and Hood N. “Unleash Innovation in Foreign Subsidiaries,” Harvard Business Review, 79–3 (2001): 131–37.Google Scholar
- Bradshaw, Tim. “Apple Faces China Challenges Despite IPhone Resurgence”, Financial Times, February 1, 2017: https://www.ft.com/content/474aec32-e82e-11e6-893c-082c54a7f539.
- Brown, Tim. “Design Thinking”, Harvard Business Review, 86–6 (2008): 84–92.Google Scholar
- Cavusgil, S. Tamer, Knight, Gary and Riesenberger, John R. International Business: Strategy, Management, and the New Realities. New Jersey: Pearson Prentice Hall, 2008.Google Scholar
- Davenport, Thomas H., Leibold, Marius and Voelpel, Sven. Strategic Management in the Innovation Economy: Strategy Approaches and Tools for Dynamic Innovation Capabilities. Erlangen, Germany: Publicis and Wiley, 2006.Google Scholar
- Doz, Yves L., Bartlett, Christopher A. and Prahalad, C.K. “Global Competitive Pressures and Host Country Demands: Managing Tensions in MNCs”. Sloan Management Review. (Spring 1981): 63–74.Google Scholar
- Global Strategy Group, Samsung: https://sgsg.samsung.com/main/newpage.php?f_id=gsg_whyGsg. Accessed on December 11, 2016.
- Grobart, Sam. “How Samsung Became the World’s No.1 Smartphone Maker”, Bloomberg, March 28, 2013Google Scholar
- Gupta, A.K. and Govindarajan V. “Knowledge Flows and the Structure of Control within Multinational Corporations”, The Academy of Management Review, 13/4 (1991): 768–92.Google Scholar
- Harzing, AW. “An Empirical Analysis and Extension of the Bartlett and Ghoshal Typology of Multinational Companies”, Journal of International Business Studies, 31(2000): 101–120.Google Scholar
- Harzing, Ann and Noorderhaven, Niels. “Knowledge Flows in MNCs: An Empirical Test and Extension of Gupta and Govindarajan’s typology of subsidiary roles”, International Business Review, 15–3 (2006): 195–214.Google Scholar
- Huy, Quy and Vuori, Timo. “Who Killed Nokia? Nokia Did”, INSEAD Knowledge, September 22, 2015: http://knowledge.insead.edu/strategy/who-killed-nokia-nokia-did-4268.
- IDC. Smartphone Vendor Market Share 2016 Q2. Accessed on December 11 2016, http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-market-share.jsp.
- Jensen, Karina R. Accelerating Global Product Innovation through Cross-cultural Collaboration Study, Report 2011.Google Scholar
- Jensen, Karina R. Global Innovation and Collaboration Study, 2014.Google Scholar
- Jensen, Karina R. Local Innovation and Collaboration Study/Asia, 2015.Google Scholar
- Kim, W. Chan and Mauborgne, Renée. Blue Ocean Strategy. Boston: Harvard Business School Publishing, 2015.Google Scholar
- Lemaire, Jean Paul. Strategies d’Internationalisation: Développement International de l’Entreprise, Paris: Dunod, 2003.Google Scholar
- Reuters. “Here’s Why India Will Be Such a Challenging Market for Apple”, May 24, 2016. http://fortune.com/2016/05/24/india-market-apple-tim-cook/.
- Values and Philosophy, Samsung: https://sgsg.samsung.com/main/newpage.php?f_id=samsung_value. Accessed on December 11, 2016.