Variations in Landslide Frequency Due to Climate Changes Through High Resolution Euro-CORDEX Ensemble
The paper presents the main findings of a research aimed to provide probabilistic projections about the variation of local weather patterns recognized as relevant for triggering of rainfall-induced landslide events affecting pyroclastic covers in Campania Region (Southern Italy). The study focuses on the municipality of Nocera Inferiore affected by several events (1960, 1972, 1997 and 2005). Euro-CORDEX multimodel ensemble at high resolution (about 12 km on the area of interest) provides daily precipitation data weighted on the basis of the performances and scenario consistency through the REA (Reliability Ensemble Averaging) method proposed by Giorgi and Mearns (2002). The results indicate a general worsening of the slope stability conditions in the investigated area up 2100 under the two different concentration scenarios. The developed approach is easily deployable for all impact studies and then it could represent a valuable tool in developing effective adaptation strategies and proper prioritizations of interventions to cope with Climate Changes.
KeywordsClimate changes Euro-CORDEX projections Multi-model ensemble Reliability Ensemble Averaging Pyroclastic soil Rainfall-induced landslide
This work has been carried out within the activities of INTACT project receiving funding from the European Union Seventh Framework Programme (FP7/2007–2013) under grant agreement n° FP7-SEC-2013-1-606799. The information and views set out in this paper are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the European Union.
- Cascini L, Sorbino G, Cuomo S, Ferlisi S (2014) Seasonal effects of rainfall on the shallow pyroclastic deposits of the Campania region (southern Italy). Landslides 11(5):772–79. doi: 10.1007/s10346-013-0395-3
- Falloon P, Challinor A, Dessai S, Hoang L, Johnson J, Koehler A-K (2014) Ensembles and uncertainty in climate change impacts. Front Environ Sci 2(July):1–7Google Scholar
- Katz RW, Craigmile PF Guttorp P, Haran M, Sansó B, Stein ML (2013) Uncertainty analysis in climate change assessments. Nat Clim Change 3:769–771Google Scholar
- Picarelli L, Santo A, Di Crescenzo G, Olivares L (2008) Macro-zoning of areas susceptible to flowslide in pyroclastic soils in Campania Region. In: Proceedings X international symposium on landslides and engineered slopes—Xi’an, China, vol 2. Swets & Zeitlinger, Lisse A A, Balkema, Rotterdam, pp 1951–1958Google Scholar
- Villani V, Rianna G, Mercogliano P, Zollo AL (2015) Statistical approaches versus weather generator to downscale RCM outputs to slope scale for stability assessment: a comparison of performances. Electron J Geotech Eng 20(4):1495–1515Google Scholar