Economic Wisdom for Managerial Decision-Making
The paper argues that Aristotle’s “phronesis” can be explained as social practice wisdom, a discursive system linking mind and social practice to produce wellbeing and human flourishing. It uses the contemporary conceptualization of phronesis and its related metatheoretical construct of wisdom principles to bring a practical dimension to wise decision-making. The paper first reviews progress in the understanding of wise leadership within leadership studies and the principles of wisdom proposed by McKenna. Against this taxonomy it then recontextualizes the numerous calls in leadership literature for qualitative, research. It presents samples and interprets the resulting theory based in original material from interviews with 184 managers generated by the Wisdom Project.
The paper concludes that an economic wisdom is present in the minds of managers. Economic wisdom could offer resources for management education and development across all business domains to address the challenges of the VUCA world with a more realistic, holistic and planet-friendly approach.
KeywordsEmotional Regulation United Nations Institutional Investor Practical Wisdom Global Compact
- Accenture. 2016. The UN Global Compact: Accenture Strategy CEO Study. Source: https://www.accenture.com/us-en/insight-UN-global-compact-CEO-study?c=strat_stratsmctwt_10000160&n=smc_0316.
- Alford, H.J., and M.J. Naughton. 2001. Managing as if Faith Mattered: Christian Social Principles in the Modern Organization. Notre Dame: University of Notre Dame Press.Google Scholar
- Barton, D. 2011. CEOs Can Attract Long-Term Investors. HBR Blog Network. Source: https://hbr.org/2011/09/how-ceos-can-attract-investors
- Bouckaert, L., and L. Zsolnai, ed. 2011. The Palgrave Handbook of Spirituality and Business. London: Palgrave.Google Scholar
- Brown, V. 1994. Adam Smith’s Discourse: Canonicity, Commerce, and Conscience. Psychology Press.Google Scholar
- Carr, A. 1968. Is Business Bluffing Ethical? Harvard Business Review 143: 155.Google Scholar
- Columbo, R.J. 2009. Exposing the Myth of Homo Economicus. Journal of Law & Public Policy 32(2): 737–765.Google Scholar
- Drucker, P.F. 1968. The Age of Discontinuity: Guidelines to Our Changing Society. New Brunswick: Transaction Publishers.Google Scholar
- Dunne, J. 1997. Back to the Rough Ground: Practical Judgement and the Lure of Technique. Notre Dame: University of Notre Dame Press.Google Scholar
- George, W. 2013, December. Bill George on Rethinking Capitalism. McKinsey Quarterly.Google Scholar
- Griswold, C.L. 1999. Adam Smith and the Virtues of Enlightenment. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Haldane, A. 2012. “The Dog and the Frisbee”, Speech Given at the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City’s 36th Economic Policy Symposium “The Changing Policy Landscape”. Jackson Hole, Wyoming.Google Scholar
- Hauerwas, S. 1974. Vision and Virtue. Fides: Notre Dame.Google Scholar
- Heinemann, B. 2016, July 26. How the CFO and General Counsel Can Partner More Effectively. The Daily Alert, Harvard Business School. Available at: https://hbr.org/2016/07/how-the-cfo-and-general-counsel-can-partner-more-effectively.
- Kinsella, E.A. and A. Pitman (Eds.) 2012. Phronesis as Professional Knowledge: Practical Wisdom in the Professions. London: Springer.Google Scholar
- Kongsbakk, N. and D. Rooney. 2016. Too Busy to Learn: Wisdom, Mindfulness, and Grounding Learning. In Wisdom Learning: Perspectives on Wising up Management Education, ed. W. Küpers and O. Gunnlaugson. London: Gower.Google Scholar
- KPMG. 2014. A New Vision of Value. KPMG International.Google Scholar
- MacIntyre, A. 1984. After Virtue: A Study in Moral Theory. 2nd ed. Notre Dame: Notre Dame University Press.Google Scholar
- Malinowski, P. 2013. Neural Mechanisms of Attentional Control in Mindfulness Meditation. Frontiers in Neuroscience 7.Google Scholar
- McKenna, B. 2013. The Multi-Dimensional Character of Wisdom. In Wise Management in Organisational Complexity, ed. M. Thompson and D. Bevan, 13–33. Basingstoke: Palgrave.Google Scholar
- Midgley, M. 2009, April 20. Hobbes’s Leviathan, Part 3: What is Selfishness? The Guardian. Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belief/2009/apr/20/religion-philosophy-hobbes-dawkins-selfishness.
- Polman, P. 2011. The Remedies for Capitalism. McKinsey. Source: http://www.mckinsey.com/en/Capitalism/Paul_Polman.aspx.
- ———. 2012, June. Captain Planet: An Interview with Unilever CEO Paul Polman. Harvard Business Review.Google Scholar
- Rand, A. 2007. Atlas Shrugged. New York: Penguin Books.Google Scholar
- Rifkin, J. 2009. The Empathic Civilisation. Cambridge: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- ———. 2013b. Being a Wise Organizational Researcher: Ontology, Epistemology and Axiology. In A Handbook of Practical Wisdom: Leadership, Organization and Integral Business Practice, ed. Wendelin Küpers and David J. Pauleen, 79–98. London: Gower.Google Scholar
- ———. 2016. The Knowledge Economy, Knowledge Policy, & Wisdom Site. Source: https://sites.google.com/site/davidrooneyknowledge.
- Rooney, D., B. McKenna, and P. Liesch. 2010. Wisdom and Management in the Knowledge Economy. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Sen, A. 1977. Rational Fools: A Critique of the Behavioral Foundations of Economic Theory. Philosophy & Public Affairs 6(4): 317–344.Google Scholar
- ———. 1987. On Ethics and Economics. Oxford: Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Smith, A. 1790. The Theory of Moral Sentiments, ed. R.P. Hanley (2009). London: Penguin Edition.Google Scholar
- ———. 1776. An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth Of Nations, ed. Andrew Skinner (1982). London: Penguin Edition.Google Scholar
- Solomon, R. 2006. Free Enterprise, Sympathy and Virtue. Free Enterprise: Values in Action Conference Series, 2005–2006. Available at SSRN: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=927482.
- Thompson, M.J. 2007. Homo Spiritualis in Business. In Spirituality as a Public Good, ed. L. Bouckaert and L. Zsolnai. Garant: Antwerp.Google Scholar
- ———. 2011a. A Philosophy and Spirituality of Wisdom-Based Leadership. In Leading with Wisdom, ed. M. Thompson and J. Eynikel. Garant: Antwerp.Google Scholar
- ———., ed. 2011b. Business, Spirituality and the Common Good. Russell: Boise.Google Scholar
- ———. 2012. On Self-interest. In Spiritual Humanism and Economic Wisdom, ed. H. Opdebeeck and L. Zsolnai. Garant: Antwerp.Google Scholar
- ———. 2017. How Managers Understand Wisdom in Decision-Making: A Phronetic Research Approach. In Wisdom Learning: Perspectives on Wising up Management Education, ed. W. Küpers and O. Gunnlaugson. London: Gower.Google Scholar
- Werhane, P. 1989. Adam Smith and His Legacy for Modern Capitalism. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Wilson, E.O. 1998. Consilience. New York: Alfred A. Knopf.Google Scholar
- Zsolnai, L., ed. 2011. Spirituality and Ethics in Management. Dordrecht: Springer.Google Scholar