Using iBeacon Technology for Active Aging Learning
Participation in educational activities is found to be helpful to lead to successful aging. We have developed a framework for enhancing learning for older learners using iBeacon technology. Personalized and location-aware learning applications can be designed to improve the learning experience of older learners. A learning analytics engine is designed in our framework for better understanding the learners’ learning progress and status. Immediate intervention by the instructors can then be conducted based on their learning pace and level of ability. We presented a case of language learning of older learners as a proof of concept.
KeywordsLocation-aware Context-aware iBeacon Active aging
The work described in this paper was supported by a grant from the Research Grants Council of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, China (Project No. UGC/IDS11/15).
- 1.Arrigo, M., Kukulska-Hulme, A., Arnedillo-Sánchez, I., Kismihok, G.: Meta-analyses from a collaborative project in mobile lifelong learning. Br. Educ. Res. J. 39(2), 222–247 (2013)Google Scholar
- 2.Bassbouss, L., Güçlü, G., Steglich, S.: Towards a remote launch mechanism of TV companion applications using iBeacon. In: Proceedings of the IEEE 3rd Global Conference on Consumer Electronics (GCCE), pp. 538–539 (2014)Google Scholar
- 7.Fernández-Ballesteros, R., Molina, M.Á.: Lifelong Learning. The Encyclopedia of Adult-hood and Aging. Wiley, Hoboken (2016)Google Scholar
- 8.Jarvis, P.: Adult Education and Lifelong Learning: Theory and Practice. Routledge, Abingdon-on-Thames (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Knapper, C., Cropley, A.J.: Lifelong Learning in Higher Education. Psychology Press, Hove (2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Lin, X.Y., Ho, T.W., Fang, C.C., Yen, Z.S., Yang, B.J., Lai, F.: A mobile indoor positioning system based on iBeacon technology. In: Proceedings of the 37th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), pp. 4970–4973 (2015)Google Scholar
- 11.Marin, B., Prinz, C.: Facts and Figures on Disability Welfare. European Centre for Social Welfare Policy and Research Vienna, Vienna (2003)Google Scholar
- 16.Sloane-Seale, A., Kops, B.: Older adults in lifelong learning: participation and successful aging. Can. J. Univ. Contin. Educ. 34(1) (2013)Google Scholar
- 17.Yang, J., Schneller, C., Roche, S.: The Role of Higher Education in Promoting Lifelong Learning. UIL Publication Series on Lifelong Learning Policies and Strategies: No. 3. UNESCO Institute for Lifelong Learning (2015)Google Scholar