Imitating a Hot Puzzle Game for English Vocabulary Exercise in E-book System
Pure memorization of English words are usually uninteresting and provides limited help to the improvement of English proficiency. This paper imitates the popular block elimination puzzle game of Candy Crush Saga to develop a similar mobile game about English vocabulary elimination. The proposed puzzle game in this paper is used as an integrated tool with an e-book reading system and is utilized for vocabulary practices and examinations. The design and implementation of the proposed tablet-based mobile game aims to make English vocabulary learning more interesting and motivated. The purpose is to provide a game-based tool for English as a Second Language (ESL) learners to improve their English learning efficiency.
KeywordsPuzzle game English vocabulary E-book English learning
This work is supported in part by Fujian Provincial Key Laboratory of Big Data Mining and Applications, Fujian University of Technology, China and supported in part by Ministry of Science and Technology, Taiwan under grant MOST 103-2511-S-224-004-MY3, MOST 104-2511-S-224-003-MY3, and MOST 105-2628-S-224-001-MY3.
- 1.Wu, T.T., Sung, T.W., Huang, Y.M., Yang, C.S., Yang, J.T.: Ubiquitous English-reading learning system with dynamic personalized guidance of learning portfolio. Educ. Technol. Soc. 14(4), 164–180 (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Hsu, C.K., Hwang, G.J., Chang, C.K.: An automatic caption filtering and partial hiding approach to improving the English listening comprehension of EFL students. Educ. Technol. Soc. 17(2), 270–283 (2014)Google Scholar
- 3.Lee, Y.Y., Cheon, J., Key, S.: Learners’ perceptions of video games for second/foreign language learning. In: Proceedings of the International Conference of Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education, Las Vegas, USA (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Uzun, L., Cetinavci, U.R., Korkmaz, S., Salihoglu, U.M.: Developing and applying a foreign language vocabulary learning and practice game: the effect of VocaWord. Digital Culture Education 5(1), 48–70 (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Chou, M.H.: Assessing English vocabulary and enhancing young English as a Foreign Language (EFL) learners’ motivation through games, songs, and stories. Educ. 3–13: Int. J. Prim. Elementary Early Years Educ. 42(3), 284–297 (2014)Google Scholar
- 10.Wu, T.T., Sung, T.W., Huang, Y.M., Yang, C.S.: Location awareness mobile situated English reading learning system. J. Internet Technol. 11(7), 923–934 (2010)Google Scholar