Using Summarization Technology for Supporting Problem-Based Learning
In this information explosion era, more and more users are experienced information overload issue. Text summarization technology provides short version of document for user to reduce information overload. In e-learning field, a lengthy learning materials may cause such issue so that learner cannot focus on the main concept of the course. In traditional problem-based learning (PBL) activity, panel discussion is the key process for learners to consolidate their knowledge and provide solutions of the problem. In order to accelerate the discussion process, this study proposes a summarization module for learners to obtain short version of learning materials. In this manner, learners can focus on the main learning concept in their discussion and practice the problem-solving skills.
KeywordsText summarization PBL e-learning Problem-solving
The authors would like to thank the Ministry of Science and Technology of the Republic of China, Taiwan, for financially supporting this research under Contract No. MOST 104-2511-S-218-006-.
- 1.Hou, X., Yang, H. B., Liu, J.B.: A problem-based teaching method in XML course. In: International Conference on Computer Science and Education, pp. 399–402 (2010)Google Scholar
- 2.Hung, W.: The nine-step process for designing PBL problems: application of the 3C3R model. Paper presented at the AERA 2006 Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Kahney, H.: Problem solving: Current Issues. Open University Press, Philadelphia (1993)Google Scholar
- 5.Hug, T., Lindner, M., Bruck, P.A.: Microlearning: emerging concepts, practices and technologies after e-learning. In: Proceedings of Microlearning, Innsbruck. Innsbruck University Press (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Siemens, G.: Connectivism: a learning theory for the digital age (2004). http://www.elearnspace.org/Articles/connectivism.htm
- 8.Rafael, F., Frederico, F., Luciano, S.C., Rafael, D.L., Rinaldo, L., Gabriel, F., Steven, J.S., Luciano, F.: A context based text summarization system. In: IAPR International Workshop on Document Analysis Systems, pp. 66–70 (2014)Google Scholar
- 9.Anusha, B., Ashesh, K., Shivam, P., Sowmya, K.S.: A novel technique for efficient text document summarization as a service. In: Third International Conference on Advances in Computing and Communications, pp. 50–53 (2013)Google Scholar
- 10.Wu, K., Shi, P., Pan, D.: An approach to automatic summarization for chinese text based on the combination of spectral clustering and LexRank. In: 12th International Conference on Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery (FSKD), pp. 1350–1354 (2015)Google Scholar