Plastic Deformations of Unsaturated Fine-Grained Soils Under Cyclic Thermo-Mechanical Loads
Plastic deformation of unsaturated soils under cyclic thermo-mechanical loads is important to the serviceability of many earth structures, such as the high-speed railway embankment and energy pile. In this keynote, experimental and theoretical studies of cyclic thermo-mechanical behaviour of unsaturated fine-grained soils are presented. Particular attentions are given to cyclic shear behaviour of unsaturated soil at various suctions and temperatures, as well as soil volume changes under heating and cooling at different suctions.
KeywordsVoid Ratio Unsaturated Soil Matric Suction Soil Specimen Critical State Line
The authors would like to acknowledge the contributions from research grant 51509041 provided by the National Science Foundation of China and also the grants 16209415, 16216116, 617213 and HKUST6/CRF/12R supported by the Research Grants Council (RGC) of the HKSAR.
- AASHTO (2008) Mechanical empirical pavement design guide: a manual of practice. American Association of State Highway and State Highway Officials, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- ASTM (2011) Standard practice for classification of soils for engineering purposes (unified soil classification system). American Society of Testing and Materials, West ConshohockenGoogle Scholar
- Campanella RG, Mitchell JK (1968) Influence of temperature variations on soil behavior. J Soil Mech Found Div 94(3):709–734Google Scholar
- GEO (2000) Geoguide 2: guide to site investigation. Geotechnical Engineering Office of Hong Kong governmentGoogle Scholar
- Ng CWW, Menzies B (2007) Advanced unsaturated soil mechanics and engineering. Taylor & Francis, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Zhou C, Ng CWW (2016b) Effects of temperature and suction on plastic deformation of unsaturated silt under cyclic loads. J Mater Civil Eng 28(12):04016170. ASCEGoogle Scholar