Gas Accretion in Star-Forming Galaxies
Cold-mode gas accretion onto galaxies is a direct prediction of ΛCDM simulations and provides galaxies with fuel that allows them to continue to form stars over the lifetime of the Universe. Given its dramatic influence on a galaxy’s gas reservoir, gas accretion has to be largely responsible for how galaxies form and evolve. Therefore, given the importance of gas accretion, it is necessary to observe and quantify how these gas flows affect galaxy evolution. However, observational data have yet to conclusively show that gas accretion ubiquitously occurs at any epoch. Directly detecting gas accretion is a challenging endeavor and we now have obtained a significant amount of observational evidence to support it. This chapter reviews the current observational evidence of gas accretion onto star-forming galaxies.
KeywordsColumn Density Equivalent Width Host Galaxy Dark Matter Halo Halo Mass
Glenn G. Kacprzak acknowledges the support of the Australian Research Council through the award of a Future Fellowship (FT140100933). Thanks to Nikole Nielsen for providing comments, and to Nikole Nielsen, Stephanie Ho, and Rongmon Bordoloi for providing additional new plots for this chapter.
- Bielby, R., Crighton, N. H. M., Fumagalli, M., et al. 2016, arXiv:1607.03386Google Scholar
- Borthakur, S., Heckman, T., Tumlinson, J., et al. 2016, arXiv:1609.06308Google Scholar
- Dutta, R., Srianand, R., Gupta, N., et al. 2016, arXiv:1610.05316Google Scholar
- Ho, S. H., Martin, C. L., Kacprzak, G. G., & Churchill, C. W. 2016, arXiv:1611.04579. http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2016arXiv161104579H
- Kacprzak, G. G., Churchill, C. W., Evans, J. L., Murphy, M. T., & Steidel, C. C. 2011b, MNRAS, 416, 3118Google Scholar
- Lehner, N., O’Meara, J. M., Howk, J. C., Prochaska, J. X., & Fumagalli, M. 2016, ApJ, 833, 283 http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2016ApJ...833..283L
- Péroux, C., Rahmani, H., Quiret, S., et al. 2016, arXiv:1609.07389Google Scholar
- Schroetter, I., Bouché, N., Wendt, M., et al. 2016, arXiv:1605.03412Google Scholar
- Steidel, C. C. 1995, QSO Absorption Lines, 139Google Scholar
- Stewart, K., Maller, A., Oñorbe, J., et al. 2016, arXiv:1606.08542Google Scholar
- Wotta, C. B., Lehner, N., Howk, J. C., O’Meara, J. M., & Prochaska, J. X. 2016, arXiv:1608.02584Google Scholar