Visual Literacy in Library Practice: Use of Images on the Facebook Pages of Croatian Public Libraries
The goal of the research was to explore the specific phenomenon from the field of visual literacy: use of images on the Facebook pages of the ten Croatian public libraries. Using the content analysis, we created “image type” categories and subcategories of images that are posted by librarians and determined their shares in relation to the total number of analyzed image posts. Also, content analysis was used to determine the various roles of these images in communication with user community gathered around these Facebook pages. We created “image communication role” categories and subcategories and determined their shares in relation to the total number of analyzed image posts. While presenting the shares of “image type” and “image communication role” categories and subcategories, we also described examples of good practice with regard to the use of images in image posts.
KeywordsVisual literacy Croatian public libraries Images Facebook
- 4.Rockenbach, B., Fabian, C.A.: Visual literacy in the age of participation. Art Documentation: J. Art Libr. Soc. North Am. 27(2), 26–31 (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Lankshear, C., Knobel, M.: ‘New’Literacies: Technologies and Values. Teknokultura. Revista de Cultura Digital y Movimientos Sociales 9(1), 45–71 (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Casey, M.E., Savastinuk, L.C.: Service for the next-generation library. Libr. J. 131(1), 40–42 (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Charnigo, L., Barnett-Ellis, P.: Checking out Facebook.com: the impact of a digital trend on academic libraries. Inf. Technol. Libr. 26(1), 23–34 (2007)Google Scholar
- 15.Bourlai, E., Herring, S. C.: Multimodal communication on tumblr: i have so many feels! In: Proceedings of the 2014 ACM Conference on Web Science, pp. 171–175. Association for Computing Machinery (2014)Google Scholar